| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Video of Before and After Surgery and Recovery Process  (Read 5706 times)

Kathy

Video of Before and After Surgery and Recovery Process
« on: November 18, 2011, 11:53:04 AM »
Hi Folks,
I'm new to posting to this site - but like most, not to researching about being a donor.  One of my frustrations in looking for info included the lack of before/after pictures or video of donor and recipients.  Because of this, I am actively recording our happenings in order to help others in the future.  Here's what I'd like to highlight (in addition to the obvious) for the donor:  What my belly looks like before and after - and my overall physique week to week, or month to month in recovery as I would like to know visually what is normal, what the symptoms are of the loss of the gall bladder (if any), and how to explain what's happening to Mommy to my children (Kindergarten and second grade).
But I know there's much more and was wondering if you have any opinions on what might be helpful in video documenting this process.  The receipient will be videoed as well as his family and my husband....  Surgery is the 28th so this is a bit last minute!!  Thanks so much for your insight!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 11:56:13 AM by Kathy »

Kathy

Re: Video of Before and After Surgery and Recovery Process
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 11:56:46 AM »
Also - has anyone ever done this or are you aware of a before/after video?
Thanks!

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 07:32:57 PM »
      Are you speaking about kidney donation or liver-lobe donation? I don't understand the reference to gall bladder. Thanks.
            Fr. Pat

Kathy

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 10:15:05 AM »
So sorry!  Liver lobe....I had found out that they remove the gall bladder in the process....

Offline Linda

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 11:41:00 AM »
Sounds like a great idea.  I would have liked to hear more about the recovery process and the physical sensations and emotions involved in that period!
donated kidney to dear friend Oct. 2011

Offline stlblugirl44

• My first post!
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 09:31:45 PM »
I would definitely be interested in viewing your video.  I myself was a living liver donor on November 21, 2011.  I believe I've had a great recovery and fairly short hospital stay compared to most but I'd like to see if you have any of the symptoms/same issues that I have.  Hope everything went well for you!!!

Thank you.

Kathy

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 03:44:33 PM »
It's 5 weeks since my liver donation and feeling great considering....  The hardest part is the exhaustion which I'm not accustom to with my typically busy lifestyle.  Still recording but my receipient, my husband's cousin's son - age 24, is still in ICU and ended up getting a cadaver liver.  I'm having a hard time truly following up to the extent which we intended because this was a team project between him and I.  I'm hoping and praying his health improves and we can continue our mission of education and information together...

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 08:17:25 PM »
        I hope and pray that both you and he will be feeling better. Give yourself plenty of time and space to recover both physically and emotionally, as you have been through an extraordinary experience.
   best wishes,
       Fr. Pat

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional