| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Very Important (complicated) question.  (Read 3503 times)

Offline wd144

• My first post!
  • I'm new!
Very Important (complicated) question.
« on: January 04, 2015, 09:49:42 PM »
Hey everyone, thank you for your time.

I am already a Kidney donor to my brother who needed one, I donated about 5 years ago and he is doing good.

Now my mom needs a kidney too, but I only have one, so I can't donate to her obviously..

My question is this... What if something were to happen to me? Like, I died.

Would they be able to take the kidney from my dead body and give it to my mom if I am an organ donor and put it in my will that I want her to have it?

Please, this is a serious question and I need real serious answers. Thank you.

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
Re: Very Important (complicated) question.
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 07:08:38 AM »
Best wishes, you seem to be in a challenging situation. You can express your intentions to have your kidney directed to your mother after your death to your loved ones, as it will be up to them in that eventuality. They may be guided by written documents, or may not. Also, the full array of medical testing and judgement as to the appropriateness of the match may suggest it is not in her best interest. Finally, she must consent, and a child predeceasing a parent is always a tragic circumstance. If your wishes are a surprise to her at that time, that would be very stressful. Again, best wishes.
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional