| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Post kidney transplant question  (Read 4613 times)

heatherway30

Post kidney transplant question
« on: November 18, 2011, 10:56:14 PM »
Donation was on the 15th, 3 days ago.  It seems the recipient will require a blood transfusion soon and fears the potential risks to new kidney that come with BTs.  Does anyone know if the donor is able to donate the blood for the transfusion?  My side of the donation went well and I am only on the prescribed pain medication...

heatherway30

Re: Post kidney transplant question
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 11:30:00 PM »
I failed to mention, this is a colon-related procedure that will require the transfusion.  Kidney is working well and creatinine is down to 1.4 from 8.8... Yes I know, ask the doctor - but it's the weekend and both sides are stressing over this.  Does anyone have any ideas and would my blood would make a difference seeing as how I donated the kidney?

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 12:36:12 AM »
     As the "+" or "-" in the blood types does not make a difference in kidney donation, but DOES make a difference in blood donation, not all kidney donors could also give blood to their kidney recipient. Likewise, not all kidney donors are able to donate blood. For example, since I had hepatitis-A some years back the Red Cross will never accept my blood for transfusion, but I was able to donate a kidney without any problem. So you may or may not be ABLE to donate blood to your recipient.
    As to whether blood from the kidney donor would be especially helpful to the recipient, I have no idea.
     Hope this info helps.
      Fr. Pat

Offline lawphi

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 10:22:32 PM »
You would be the worst possible person to donate, unless you're an identical twin. His body would receive a jump start on developing antibodies to destroy your old kidney.

Read up on desensitization in kidney transplants for more examples.   

Larger centers can give transfusions with the antibodies removed. My husband received one after his transplant.
Bridge Paired Exchange donor on behalf of my husband (re-transplant) at Johns Hopkins.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved