| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Donating to a stranger  (Read 5402 times)

Offline pilotjjc3

• Top 50 poster!
Donating to a stranger
« on: November 21, 2011, 05:13:33 PM »
When I donated last summer, it was to a friend who is as close to me as a brother.  So the decision to help was very easy and I do not regret my decision.  Prior to that, I had never even thought about making a living donation.  It got me thinking about people who donated to a stranger.  Not someone in a chain, but someone who just felt a call to donate and it didn't matter who it went to.  Knowing what I know now and what I went through (extra days at the hospital due to some minor complications and problems with pay from work), without question, I would still go through that to help a friend or family, but I'm not sure I could do that for a stranger.  Maybe that makes me a bad person, but it wasn't the smoothest thing for me to go through.  It gives me a new and greater appreciation for someone who would donate to a complete stranger.  If anyone on the board has done that, what made you decide to do that?  What did your family think when you went to surgery without a friend or family member to benifit from that surgery?

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Donating to a stranger
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 06:42:55 PM »
     I think that my primary motivation in becoming a non-diected donor was the teaching and example of Jesus. "Do to others what you would wish them to do for you." "Love one another as I have loved you." etc. But I know that each non-directed donor has her/his own way of expressing their motivations.
  Fr. Pat

Offline Snoopy

• Top 10 Poster!
  • Non-directed donation, Oct., 2011
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 08:53:33 AM »
    In my own case I started off by thinking:  what would I do if I came across somebody drowning, and I thought I could jump in and manage to save them?  Unless I thought that I might well drown myself, I would hope I'd jump in, regardless of whether I knew the fellow or not.  To me, non-directed donation was sort of like playing lifeguard. 
    That said, I did not rush into the decision (partly because at the beginning I had some specific reason to worry that one of my close family members would end up needing my kidney).  I spoke with a number of doctors I'm friends with, looked at the medical literature myself, and consulted an eminent rabbi.  And my transplant center did lots and lots and lots of testing to make sure it was safe for me to donate.
     I got my wife's (not totally enthusiastic) permission to do this just before I made the initial contact with the transplant center.  I told my kids, however, only just before the surgery, and, still, very very few other people know beyond that.
          Be well,
          Snoopy

Offline rdr321

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 11:09:02 AM »
 I met a woman who had donated her kidney to a friend. While she was telling me about it. I got excited that I wanted to donate also. The same as if someone is telling you about a new toy(electronic gadet). You get excited and want to go buy the gadget because you think it will make you happy. There is really no diference between the 2.
  When I was in the Navy in my early 20's. All I cared about was getting drunk and chasing tail (women). One time they announced that vollunteers were needed for the Special Olympics. I remember getting excited to help. after that I was always doing some sort of vollunteering.
   I do not understand why my mind works that way and others do not. When I  checked the info about donating the kidney. I felt that any complications, loss of money or any other bad consequence was small in comparrison the the benifit of someone else. It is painful, and it did cost money to do it. All I can say is that the ability to give to somone, regardless of how it will affect you. Is a freeing attitude. Better than any material possesion.I think of it almost like a gift that my mind works that way.
   It goes against main streem American morality. Where the  true religion is consumerism. If I get a good job. Marry a beautifull wife. Buy all the right things. Have a good reputation. I will be a happy and be good person. This is how I think most of us are raised. Some people think that I am crazy for donating. Because I got nothing in return. But I feel I am lucky.

Offline ohtobeahayes

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 11:09:56 AM »
I started a chain, so my donation was to someone I did not know. Well, everyone in the chain donated to someone they do not know, but I didn't donate so that someone I love could receive a kidney.
My husband's uncle died needing a kidney, and I just thought that was the stupidest thing ever. When I heard how many people are waiting, and how many die each year waiting, I was all in.  

It doesn't make you a bad person at all. Most people are more cautious when it comes to donating body parts this way.  You know how you said it was a no brainer for you? It's the same here- I'll go out on a limb and say that for most anonymous donors it's that way- the second it occurs to you that living donation is a possibility, you just know right away if it's a thing you want to do, without much thought behind it. You KNOW first that you want to do it, and then do the learning and research about it.

You have a big, huge, generous heart! Your gift was no different than that of anonymous donors. Life is life is hope is hope is life is life is love, and on and on. :)
Your gift has affected more people than you can guess, and it continues on and on! Thank you for your beautiful heart!
Nicki
Be the change!
Nicki

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional