| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: I'm an official member now!  (Read 8327 times)

Offline PaulaHalvo

• Top 100 Poster!
I'm an official member now!
« on: February 17, 2012, 06:45:34 AM »
I had my kidney removed at Cleveland Clinic on Tuesday and everything went well.  I heard my man in California is doing well.  I hope that's true.
Day one...I felt like I had been hit by a truck and then run over several times.
Day two was so much better, but I was still shocked by all the gas at war in my abdomen.  I had not eaten anything to speak of, maybe a bite just because I was trying.  I think the docs thought I was a little wimpy.  Then last night I exploded with diiarrhea and started running a low fever, so they kept me another night.  I think that having a little virus on top of everything else was what made me feel so bad. Today I am definitely ready to check out.  amazing what a difference one day can make.
So pleased to join the rest of you, this side of donation.

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: I'm an official member now!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 07:31:37 AM »
Congratulations and welcome to the club!

Everything you describe sounds familiar and normal for someone who was knocked out with anesthesia and had a major organ removed. Wouldn't worry about the doctors and their "wimpy" thoughts. They probably have  held onto their two kidneys. This is real surgery with real knives so yes it's gonna hurt no matter how many times they tell us how minimally invasive and easy it is. Each day will get better. Don't overdo it yet and be kind to yourself as you heal.

Take care,

Sherri
Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Offline Michael

• Founder of LDO
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
    • Living Donors Online
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 09:34:22 AM »
Congratulations!
Michael
Living Donors Online
Our mission: to improve the living donation experience

Offline julian

• Top 100 Poster!
    • Julian Cook - Free Range Human
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 09:38:13 AM »
Congratulations! I'll be joining you on Monday morning and I like seeing this!
Get well soon!
Julian
----
Free Range Human - http://juliancook.com

Offline CK

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 01:24:52 PM »
For the first day after, I felt like I had skied for 10 hours (my legs were sore for some reason), I'd done 500 sit-ups (sore abdomen) and I'd had about 3 bottles of wine...dizzy and tired. Luckily, that all cleared up quickly for me.

Offline jstx

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 09:01:43 PM »
YAY!  How wonderful to hear that all went well.  Welcome to the club!  I agree with Sherri.  Don't let anyone let you feel like a wimp.  You just did an extraordinary thing and it wasn't "simple".  Your body has been through a lot.  I had one surgeon that checked in with me in the mornings and he was so stressed that I wasn't "on schedule" eating solid foods by lunch on the day after surgery and wasn't going to check out on day three.  But when my surgeon would come by and check on me later in the day he'd tell me to eat when I felt like it and was fine with me staying on liquids a meal or two longer if that was all that sounded good to me.  And he had to remind me that they do use knives and I'm going to hurt so to take it easy.  He never made me feel wimpy or whiny.

I, like you, had digestive problems--though mine wasn't a virus.  I think it was partially cause I tend to have tummy problems but it was also the "mild" stool softener they gave me.  Once you get settled outside the hospital maybe eating some yogurt would help settle things.  And you are right----a day is a huge deal!  One day I felt awful and the next it was amazing how I felt human again.  It will just keep getting better from here.  Congratulations again!!
Donated left kidney on 6/6/11 to a recipient I found on LDO
Johns Hopkins Hospital
Baltimore, MD

Offline audrey12

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 10:01:47 PM »
Every time I read the first post from a new "member" I puddle up.  You all truly give me joy.  I have nothing but good memories of my donation.  You will too.

Welcome to the club.
audrey

Offline cupid

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 10:16:58 PM »
Congratulations Paula! I wish you a quick recovery!

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 11:39:08 PM »
Congratulations! Be kind to yourself, and be patient. Good healing!
     Fr. Pat

Offline Snoopy

• Top 10 Poster!
  • Non-directed donation, Oct., 2011
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 04:40:44 AM »
Hi, Paula! Welcome to the club. Be well, Snoopy

Offline mobico

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 06:16:32 AM »
I echo the welcome. You experience sounds a lot like mine - first day out of commission, gas at war, diarrhea (mine lasted for a good 4-5 days), low-grade fever kept me in the hospital an extra day. As others have said, the progress is slow but steady! A bit ore than a month out, I feel pretty good. Feel better, and congratulations!

cyndim

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 09:24:35 AM »
Glad your surgery went well---wishing you a speedy recovery!
Looking forward to my donation next month.  :D

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved