| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: two-fer  (Read 6910 times)

Offline sgrant1158

• Top 200 Poster!
two-fer
« on: July 16, 2012, 09:27:07 AM »
Hi All

I am going through the process of donating to my brother( we are both in our 50's). I am a 4 out 6 match, yeaaa
I went through the all day testing at the hosiptal and everything looks great except, always an excpetion.
They noticed my Gallbladder is not right and they say it should come out also, (before it becomes cancer ). SO its like a twofer, both kidney and gallbladder to come out at the same time. Has anyone heard of this? is it ok do take 2 organs out? etc........

Oh well, wish me luck and I'll let you know what is happening.

Steven grant

Offline sally

• Top 100 Poster!
Re: two-fer
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 10:45:06 AM »
Hi. Just my 2 cents.  My mom had to have a kidney removed due to having cancer in it. When they operated to remove it, they also took her gall bladder & appendix at the same time.  The cancer had not spread at all...it was localized in the kidney itself. The doctor felt it was good to go ahead & remove them at the time to prevent problems later. There was no ill effects from doing them all at once, and did not increase recovery time.

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 12:10:25 PM »
There is no issue with taking out more than one organ at a time. Very often a gallbladder when filled with stones is removed during an operation for something else (like hysterectomy) so that it doesn't develop into more disease or cause pancreatitis. You mentioned that they thought the gallbladder may become cancerous. You may want to ask more about this. Are you at risk for other cancers, would you need treatments if they do find that the gallbladder or other organs do have cancer at the time of the surgery? If so how will these treatments like radiation, chemo other nephrotoxic agents or some diagnostic testing that may be needed impact your one kidney status. It may be helpful to have a second opinion.

My mother also had her gallbladder out at the time of her hysterectomy and the gyn oncologist was going to do it. But my mother's regular gyn suggested she have a general surgeon do it since cholecystectomies are not something that the gyn oncologist usually does. So a general surgeon did that portion of the surgery. You may want to ask about this. Does the nephrologist plan on doing the gallbladder removal or is another surgeon involved. Obviously, more informed consent for two surgeries.

Good luck to you and your brother as you prepare for surgery.

Sherri
Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Offline jatopa

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 12:28:34 PM »
Hi Steven,
Just my two cents as well...if they want to take the gallbladder because of stones, then no problem.  If they are talking about cancer, I would ask them to clarify.  Gallbladder cancer is not all that common, and, as Sherri said, if there is cancer, you may need nephrotoxic drugs for treatment. 
Regards,
Jane

Offline sgrant1158

• Top 200 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 01:24:23 PM »
Thanks all  for the update, and information.

They told me i need it removed and it could become cancer down the road if I didn't remove it.

My wife and I think it would be better to remove gallbladder when I donate the kidney.

Thanks
Steven

Wish me luck and prayers

Offline Aries7

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 05:43:53 PM »
Hi Steven,

I had a hysterectomy in May of 2009, and then donated my left kidney 5 months later. (October of 2009).

During the testing for the kidney donation, they discovered I had 2 large gallstones. I had been being treated for "Acid Reflux" for a couple of years prior to the kidney testing, and I was on some rather expensive medication for acid reflux.

I had a third surgery in March of 2010 to have my gallbladder removed (This was 5 months after I donated the kidney). While in there, the doctor said my appendix didn't look right either, so he removed my appendix as well. I no longer am on any medication for acid reflux and have had no more problems.

I am not saying that would be the case for everyone, but that was my experience. I was down 4 parts a ten month timeframe, and I am doing great. I am glad to be rid of my gallbladder and all of the problems it was causing. (and yes, I have had a lot of jokes from my family and friends about not being "all there".)

Best of luck to you as you go forward, and congratulations on the 4 out of 6 match! Please keep us posted how you are doing and how things are going!

Linda
Linda
Donated left kidney to Husband
October 8, 2009 at UW Madison

Offline cupid

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 08:51:40 PM »
Steven
I totally think you should just have out the gallbladder at the same time. Why risk being put under again? I believe gallbladder removal is pretty common and routine so you might as well only get put out once and be done.

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 09:28:33 AM »
Dear Steven,

How wonderful you can help your brother!  Keep us updated on your progress.

I'm curious how the insurance handles a two-fer.  Does the recipients coverage pick up the entire tab?   

Love, elephant

Offline sgrant1158

• Top 200 Poster!
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 10:37:40 AM »

I want to find that out also , who pays for the extra organ .

I'll let you know when I know. Have 2 test to finish 2 hour blood gluscose and 24 BP test. Brother sees Doctor in Aug and then we pick a date for the transplant

Steven

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 03:15:56 PM »
I can just imagine people trying to get an add-on like a tummy tuck!  :D

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 03:42:34 PM »
Elephant,

I would have definitely signed up for the tummy tuck during my donation surgery! I jokingly said to the surgeon that if he found any adipose tissue in his way feel free to cut it out. He didn't have much of a personality and didn't quite get it.

In terms of the "extra" surgery during donor nephrectomy - interesting question. I would think a general surgeon would do the gallbladder removal and then his services can be charged out to the donor's insurance. But is the anasthesia bill pro-rated? Steven, keep us posted and good luck with all your organ removals.

Sherri

Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Offline CK

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2012, 06:23:26 AM »
It is an interesting question, as to who would pay...in my case my recipient and I both had insurance through the same company so I suppose it would not be a big issue, just a question of what they bill to each of our accounts.

Offline lawphi

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2012, 09:41:16 PM »
Sherri- you are tiny! 

I wish i had asked to have a few cosmetic moles removed. 

Your scar might be different for the gall bladder (vertical above the incision). Imagine the kidney would come out the same way.  It still fades away after a few years.

Bridge Paired Exchange donor on behalf of my husband (re-transplant) at Johns Hopkins.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional