| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: All day of testing  (Read 5578 times)

Offline Halpal90

• Top 200 Poster!
  • I'm new!
All day of testing
« on: May 03, 2014, 02:22:23 PM »
Got my test results back and everything looks good. I am now trying to schedule the full day of testing. The Same tests my boyfriend went through when he got his work up.

I'm slightly disappointed and frustrated because the scheduler called and told me the next available day for me to get in would be JUNE 20th ! I find that to be an extremely long wait. I did politely ask her is I could get in any sooner. I understand the position she is in , I am a receptionist myself and "squeezing" people in is difficult. But for the situation we are in I am shocked that the waiting time is that far out. Am I the only one that has experienced that ? She told me she would email her supervisor and ask. I told them I will be available anytime any day I don't care as long as its sooner then that. And because the scheduler does not know the gravity of the situation she wouldn't be able to understand why I need to get in sooner.

The reasoning for trying to get in ASAP is that my boyfriend currently has a chest port. We are trying are hardest to avoid getting an arm access, which take at least two months to heal. And because his chest port was placed on Jan. 13th of this year he cant keep it in much longer. So planning for the future is difficult. If we get an official "Yes" I am donating my kidney then his Neurologist can justify not putting a arm access in. I don't know if that makes sense how I explained it.

For the testing I was told I have a full day.
*Blood Test
*Urine Analysis
*Physical
*Chest X-Ray
*CAT Scan
*EKG
 and then I have to meet with the social worker, nutritionist,& Transplant Surgeon   

I went to my boyfriends entire day of testing and everything went well. I will be meeting with the same people but the focus will be on my health.

I guess I figured that if they can not get me in any sooner then June 20th I could possibly go to one of the other local hospitals within there network ,and at least get the test done, and meet with everyone separately.

Does anyone have any tips? or how to handle this situation. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Halpal90

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
Re: All day of testing
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 03:29:42 PM »
Best wishes. Your scheduling flexibility suggests a possible path forward: do the tests individually or in smaller groups instead of all at once. If their protocol demands a full, ask why, and why an exception is not possible for you. Hope this helps.
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Offline Amberwoo

• Top 100 Poster!
    • My Kidney Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 11:56:39 AM »
My boyfriend has made it a very long time with a chest port (way longer then they said he would) partially due to the fact he has a huge phobia of needles, but if the Dr. knows he is having a transplant they may be willing to leave it in longer, I know that is also one of the reasons they let my boyfriend keep it.  So maybe they will work with him on that if they know potential donors are being worked up. 

Donated Kidney on 05/22/2014
My Experience- http://kidneydonorthoughts.blogspot.com/

Offline CK

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 05:11:15 PM »
When I did my testing, it seems like they got me in very quickly, within days...can you do the tests somewhere else that can do it quicker? 

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 07:10:40 PM »
     From the experiences that I have read, it seems that some hospitals deliberately slow down the testing process (without admitting it) so as to give the potential donor more time to really think it over, get even better informed, and perhaps even decide to quietly back out. I don't know, of course, if this is the case at your hospital but it might be something to keep in mind.
   best wishes,
   Fr. Pat

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 07:48:46 AM »
Dear Halpal,

My testing was also done quickly, since we were doing a pre-emptive transplant.  However, to fit it in, I did not do a 'one day' schedule.  I went at least three days.  Some of the testing was even done in the Children's wing, since they had openings.  I was fortunate to find people willing to take the time to do the special scheduling.  When I explained that we were doing a pre-emptive transplant everyone was most helpful.
Make sure you are up to date on your PAP smear, as this will be required, and you have to see your own gynecologist. 
Love, elephant

Offline CK

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2014, 10:18:02 AM »
Come to think of it, my recipient's transplant was preemptive too, so perhaps that's why mine was done so quickly.

Offline Halpal90

• Top 200 Poster!
  • I'm new!
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 01:04:08 PM »
Thanks everyone for the replies. I am patiently waiting.  :P or at least tying to haha. I still have a scheduled appointment on June 20th for my full day of testing. I've been in contact with my coordinator and they are trying to get me in sooner. They also put me on the cancelation list. I talked to my boyfriends Nephrologist and he told me I need to keep harassing them. To move this process along. He told me like many others that they purposley book this full day of testing g out far to make the potential donor think about what they are getting themselves into. I'm past that. I've madey decision if I am capable and healthy to be able to donate I fully intend on donating.

My boyfriends health is decreasing. Having lost close to 35 pounds since January. (When dialysis started) which has been 5 months yesterday. He is below his "dry weight" for dialysis. About 4 lbs. Suffering from severe nausea, fatigue, and body aches. Also night sweats.

Trying to get him to drink more fluids like the dialysis nurses want him too. He is working full time as a mechanic & starting to miss more work. He's trying to hold on working for as long as possible.

I will keep everyone updated.

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
    • Living Donors Online!
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 01:14:12 PM »
Best wishes! So, no go on breaking up the series of tests? Any reason why? It's going to be a looong day.
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Offline Halpal90

• Top 200 Poster!
  • I'm new!
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2014, 11:40:49 AM »
Left a voicemail this morning at 5:30 to my coordinators supervisor and got a call at about 7:30 from the scheduling receptionist that they could get me in May 29th for a half day & May 30th for the other half. Didn't even hesitate to accept the earlier days ! Excited to get this moving quicker.  May 30th just so happens to be my 24th birthday. Haha. But that makes no difference to me. I am suppose to get my schedule in the mail of times and what tests I'm doing on each day. 

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
    • Living Donors Online!
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2014, 03:59:37 PM »
Hurrah! Best wishes!
Proud grandpa!

Offline Snoopy

• Top 10 Poster!
  • Non-directed donation, Oct., 2011
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2014, 03:39:14 PM »
Good luck with the testing.  I'm glad you got a somewhat earlier slot.  I remember that my own testing process took a very long time.  Between worrying about being approved, worrying about my recipient, and trying to manage my schedule, I was going nuts.  At one point, I toyed with the idea of just telling them to wait right there--I was going to remove my kidney myself and hand it to them.  (Don't worry, I didn't do that  :)). )
   It gets better.  Hang in there!
           Snoopy

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved