| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Looking for realistic work recovery timeframe.  (Read 8574 times)

Offline geeklove13

• Conversationalist
  • I'm new!
Looking for realistic work recovery timeframe.
« on: September 15, 2014, 10:28:13 PM »
Hi everyone,

I'm considering donating a kidney to my father, who is currently on dialysis but just got approved for a transplant. He is already on the waiting list, but his hospital gave him a bit of a hard sell on the advantages of a live kidney versus a cadaver one, not the least of which is obviously the wait time.

My biggest concern is recovery. The information that the clinic gives me is that basically everything will be great and I'll be back to normal in four weeks. I can't believe this is always the case. I work a job that requires me to be on my feet for ten hours a day and do a lot of lifting over 30lbs and general manual labor. I'm hoping to hear from people who've gone through the donation process and can essentially give me a worst case scenario for being back to work full time, especially since I will need to make financial plans for being out of work.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Looking for realistic work recovery timeframe.
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 02:45:45 AM »
     Hi. First of all, in order to avoid opening or herniating the incisions most (all?) hospitals tell donors to not life anything over 10 pounds for several weeks. I donated 12 years ago by the big open cut method while most donations now are by means of smaller incisions laparoscopically. So make sure you get very clear instructions ahead of time on this.
    From the experiences that I have read, there is a LOT of variation in healing time among living kidney donors. Some go back to office work within a few weeks. Others need two or three months. There is no way to tell ahead of time. The heavier the work, the more difficult the return. Many donors have trouble with fatigue for months afterwards.
     Also, remember that it is MAJOR surgery. Something can always go wrong. Some donors (apparently a small minority) suffer serious long-term health complications. So there is some risk involved. make sure it is very clear at the hospital regarding who you should see if you suffer complications. Some hospitals have done a good job and caring for donors after the surgery. Other hospitals seem to want nothing to do with the donor once the surgery is finished.
     So, hope for the best, but DO prepare for the worst.
     While a donor may not be paid for the donated organ, it is legal for the donor to be reimbursed for all expenses involved, including list wages, and fund raising may be legally done for that purpose.
   I hope this information helps. My own recovery went very well, but I do know that many other donors have had more difficult recoveries.
  best wishes,
    Fr. Pat

Offline Snoopy

• Top 10 Poster!
  • Non-directed donation, Oct., 2011
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 04:37:48 AM »
Hi, geeklove13.
   To augment what Fr. Pat already posted to you, there is very wide variation.  I had a good recovery; I was able to work from home within two weeks of donation, and returned to the office a week after that. 
   However, the standing and bumping around of my normal long bus commute was too tough for me, so for about one month after I went back to work, I took inter-city taxis to and from the office.  Also, in your case, that lifting requirement is a real issue.  For me, I found lifting difficult for months after the surgery, even loads well below 30 lbs.  And I'm a husky male who used to (OK, a long time ago) lift weights.
  Is there any way your employers could put you on some sort of light duty?  You might suggest the public relations benefits to them if they chose to publicize your selfless deed (I'm not exactly kidding; it might make them more patient with your recovery).  But I would definitely tell you NOT to expect to spend your day lugging 30-lb. loads around a few weeks after surgery--and 10 hours on your feet might not be so easy, either.
   Your mileage may vary, but that lifting business is all too real. 
         Good luck, Snoopy

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 07:49:10 AM »
Dear geeklove13,

I donated to my Dad over three years ago.  For me, the most significant issue was fatigue, I was wiped out for weeks.  I was back at work after three weeks, but really could have used another week off.  That said, I was running before two weeks and back in the gym by three.  I followed the lifting restrictions (mostly) for three weeks.  My strength was good, but I tired very easily.  YMMV.
Age may be a factor.  I was 47 at donation, but in good shape. 

Love, elephant

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 09:10:41 AM »
I have a desk job and the donor doctor, as well, told me four weeks. However, the surgeon told me six weeks off. When I asked about the difference, he told me that they say six weeks because that is literally how long it takes your body to physically heal - whether you cooperate or not!  I did take the six weeks. By the sixth week, I was feeling pretty good and did go back to the desk job half days - that was probably the limit. I would come home and immediately take a nap. By the seventh, I was, indeed back in stride. If I were you, I would certainly share with the surgeon the duties of your position and get a 'best case scenario' idea of what to expect.
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Offline Michael

• Founder of LDO
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
    • Living Donors Online
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 09:35:49 AM »
This LDO web page includes research on average hospital stays, return to work, etc., following donation: https://livingdonorsonline.org/kidney/kidney5.htm

Keep in mind, these figures are averages. Some were shorter, some were longer.
Michael
Living Donors Online
Our mission: to improve the living donation experience

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 02:09:26 PM »
Welcome! Best wishes on your path to donation. As the saying goes, your mileage may vary. I was still napping into my third week post op, though I went back to work, no heavy lifting, half days, after two weeks. I was 44, healthy, and fit. I had no immediate surgical complications. When you next speak to anyone at the transplant center, explicitly mention that you are concerned about this 4 week estimate when considering your standing and lifting requirements. Ask them what the contingency plan for treatment and lost wages is if they're incorrect about this estimate. Don't be surprised if they turn the question around and ask you, instead.

That answers your direct question, but the way you described your situation, I'm not sure you've been fully informed. On December 4th, 2014, the Kidney Allocation System for the US is going to change. Among the changes relevant to your situation, waiting time will be defined as starting from the first onset of dialysis treatment, not from the first time of being put on the list. Also, the new allocation system is explicitly intended to better match recipient and donor characteristics. No telling how much or how quickly this might reduce wait time for your father, but the transplant center should explain this in detail. You haven't said how old you and your father are, or any other details about your or his health. All these and much more should be carefully considered. Again, best wishes.
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Offline geeklove13

• Conversationalist
  • I'm new!
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 06:34:25 PM »
Thanks to all who have responded so far! You've given me great info and also armed me with questions to go back to the Donor Clinic with. I'm 41 and my father in 76. He's been on dialysis for two years now, and I know they had given him some info on getting "credit" for the time he's been on dialysis with regard to the wait list.

Offline CK

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 07:27:11 PM »
I was back to work in 3 weeks, could have been back in 2, but I took an extra week to help my recipient.  I had a desk type job, and I do remember not being allowed to lift anything over 10 lbs for quite some time.

Are you not eligible for any kind of short-term disability?

Offline geeklove13

• Conversationalist
  • I'm new!
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2014, 03:16:54 PM »
No short term disability. And I'm relatively new to the company and hoping to build a career and move up, which I'm genuinely concerned might be jeopardized if I'm out of work for months, especially if that end date is fuzzy.

Offline CK

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2014, 08:51:33 PM »
Unless you have major complications, it won't be months. It really isn't that big of a surgery.  I was home within 24 hours and felt pretty good after a week, ready to work after 2.  The first couple of days I was sore and tired but I did what they told me and I got better quickly. I was up at the hospital visiting my recipient 2 days after surgery. (I will say that even on the unit the nurses were looking at me strangely and saying I looked better than most after surgery).

Your biggest issue will be that you won't be able to lift anything for a while, and that's crucial for healing.  But if you are a healthy person, the odds of having a protracted recovery from donor surgery are very small.

Offline Eldonna Edwards

• Top 100 Poster!
    • Eldonna Edwards, Author/Speaker
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2014, 12:41:00 PM »
 I donated at age 51. I have a physical (deep-tissue massage therapist) job and was back to work at 3 weeks. Everyone is different. As others have mentioned the anesthesia can cause fatigue for up to six months or longer. Good on you for stepping up but also for doing due diligence so you're well informed of the risks.

~~~~~~
Eldonna Edwards
Lost in Transplantation: Memoir of an Unconventional Organ Donor
www.eldonnaedwards.com
Author of Lost in Transplantation: Memoir of an Unconventional Organ Donor

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional