| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: October 2011 Anniversaries  (Read 4711 times)

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
October 2011 Anniversaries
« on: September 30, 2011, 08:42:09 AM »
We here remember giving liver sections and giving and exchanging kidneys in Octobers past to friends, sisters, mothers, strangers, husbands, fathers, cousins, daughters, and professors.  We recognize the courage and compassion each of these people demonstrated as they encountered the complexity of becoming a living donor.  We support them, we are them, they are us.

Remember, too, all those whose names we may never know, facing "after" without our support, with or without the support of family or friends, a faith community, or professional counseling.  We understand, perhaps as no others can, the existential pain of donor candidates thwarted from becoming donors, donor candidates who discovered they could not, should not continue, despite sincerely stepping forward, donor candidates grieving the loss of their would be recipients, grieving the loss of courage, grieving the web of constraints and commitments of prior decisions that precluded continuing with this one. We know they are not alone, that they are as courageous and worthy of recognition, support, and follow up, both short term and long term, as we are.  By all reports, scant as they are, there are more than five to ten times as many of them as us, or perhaps as many as a million Americans left to deal with this on their own, as best they can.

This month marks the tenth anniversary of my spouse being told she would not be permitted to be a kidney donor to her friend's spouse.  She is still in treatment for the previously undiagnosed condition discovered on her path to donation.  It is still a grievous disappointment to her, even though she has also experience great joy in supporting us all on our paths to surgery and my amazing, unsuspected road to public witness since.

Best wishes, all, whether you are listed here by name, or not.

Twenty-second anniversary:
Tyrone Hyslop donated part of his liver to his sister on October 18th, 1989

Twenty-first anniversary:
Dannielle Hayes donated a kidney to her mother on October 9th, 1990

Fifteenth anniversary:
Lisa Moore donated a kidney to her sister on October 17th, 1996

Thirteenth anniversary:
Robert S. Burroughs donated a kidney to his sister on October 10th, 1998

Twelfth anniversary:
Jack Hallman donated a kidney to Donna Leubke's recipient, her sister, his friend, on October 19th, 1999

Tenth anniversary:
Barb donated a kidney to her brother on October 1st, 2001. He was re-transplanted 6 days later.
Ellen Souviney donated a kidney to a friend on October 2nd, 2001
Michelle Nichols donated a kidney to a stranger on October 29th, 2001

Ninth anniversary:
Mary DeLeeuw donated a kidney to a friend on October 8th, 2002
Janice Uible donated a kidney to her husband on October 29th, 2002

Eighth anniversary:
Tina Alvarez donated a kidney to her sister on October 13th, 2003
Stephanie Powell donated a kidney to a stranger on October 21st, 2003
Marilyn Zeller-Walker donated a kidney to her daughter on October 28th, 2003

Seventh anniversary:
Lynn Cosgrove donated a kidney anonymously on October 12th, 2004
Samuel R. Smitty II donated a kidney to an unrelated person on October 20th, 2004
Gladys Sanders donated a kidney to her daughter on October 29th, 2004

Sixth anniversary:
Angela Dale donated a kidney to her friend, Charles Coats, on October 19th, 2005
Ruth Woodhall donated a kidney to her cousin, Alan, on October 27th, 2005

Fifth anniversary:
Patty-Lynn Gouthro donated a kidney to her sister on October 4th, 2006
Vince C. donated a kidney to his wife on October 17th, 2006
Amanda Mathenia donated a kidney to her father, Terry, on October 25th, 2006

Fourth anniversary:
Lauren Chavis donated a kidney to Christina Hill on October 2nd, 2007
Kim Jackson donated her left kidney to her mother on October 5th, 2007
Ann Davis donated a kidney to her husband on October 22nd, 2007
Khalifa Al Shaibani donated a kidney to his brother, Hamad, on October 26th, 2007
Diane Curtiss donated a kidney to her husband on October 30th, 2007

Third anniversary:
Nathan Pearl donated a kidney to his sister on October 7th, 2008
Anne-Marie Meyer donated her right kidney to her friend Susie on October 14th, 2008
Lorrie Whitfield donated a kidney to her husband on October 15th, 2008
Carole Stueben donated a kidney to her father on October 16th, 2008
Oliver Foggin donated a kidney to a friend on October 17th, 2008
Kathy Harris donated a kidney to her husband on October 23rd, 2008
Sarah McDaniel donated a kidney to a stranger in a list exchange on October 27th, 2008 (her mother received a deceased-donor kidney four weeks later)

Second anniversary:
Faith McKinney donated a kidney to her cousin's husband, Steve Carter, on October 20th, 2009
Carmen Manning donated a kidney to her father on October 23rd, 2009
Phil Hoover gave his left kidney to one of his college professors from more than 20 years ago on October 28th, 2009

First anniversary:
Scott Jenkins donated a kidney to a stranger in need on October 22nd, 2010
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 02:51:13 PM by Clark »
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

btd1210

Re: October 2011 Anniversaries
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 08:38:32 PM »
My brother and I; celebrated 10 years, on October 1, 2001. He was re-transplanted 6 days after my donation, but we treat it the same. My donation saved his life. Yes, there were complications, BUT i would do it again, absolutely. Barb

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 02:52:16 PM »
Dear Barb,

Happy kidneyversary!  Thanks for letting us know.  It must have been a very challenging time for you both.  Glad to hear you're still celebrating.
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Offline Scott337

• Top 25 Poster!
  • You may never know the burdens others carry
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 10:57:53 PM »
Happy kidney-versary Barb - just to let you know, there are others of us out here who had similar experiences.  My recipient had to have my kidney removed about 10 months after the transplant due to complications.  Still was a special day for me on October 22 (year one).  Regards!

Scott    8)
Scott

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved