| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Kidney Donation & Eye Infections  (Read 3823 times)

Offline medicwife

• Conversationalist
Kidney Donation & Eye Infections
« on: August 19, 2015, 01:01:53 PM »
Hi, is there any correlation between donating a kidney and frequent (4x/year) eye infections? I donated 2+ years ago and since then have had an eye infection every 3-4 months or so.

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
Re: Kidney Donation & Eye Infections
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 02:31:30 PM »
I find nothing in google scholar that's suggestive. Best wishes pursuing effective treatment!
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
625 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Kidney Donation & Eye Infections
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 07:44:49 PM »
     I don't recall ever hearing about a connection between kidney donation and eye infections, but I'll share these ideas in case they might be of any help:
--- some doctors recommend that kidney donors take supplements of Vitamins b-12 and D (even if you get sunshine) as we seem to develop deficiencies in these. But I have never heard of eye infections being a symptom of such deficiencies.
--- staying properly hydrated is important for kidney donors. Might dehydration lead to dry eyes leading to more infection? I have no idea, but being careful about hydration certainly would not hurt.
      Sorry I can't help more. Please let us know if you find out anything.
      By the way, you might want to also post your question at the FACEBOOK page of Living Donors On Line as many more donors check the postings there.
    Fr. Pat

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved