| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Finally  (Read 4768 times)

Offline sgrant1158

• Top 200 Poster!
Finally
« on: November 26, 2013, 12:54:21 PM »
 Just found out I can donate my kidney to my brother, DAVE. After a year of testing (glad its over)
Date is January 21, 2014 yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Finally
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 02:06:19 PM »
Dear sgrant,

I hope you and your brother have a great 2014.  Keep us updated. 

Love, elephant

Offline sally

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 12:20:55 PM »
Congrats! What a relief to get the final ok & finally have a date! I know its a huge weight off the mind!

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 06:36:50 PM »
Congratulations! You will find it helpful to keep reading up on the experiences of past donors to get ready for your surgery and recovery. Lots of helpful hints for your hospital stay at www.kidney.org/transplantation/livingdonors/infotips.cfm
      Fr. Pat

Offline Stpfan44

• Top 100 Poster!
  • headache drumroll
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2013, 05:38:58 AM »
Hey conhrats and happy thanksgiving!

Just 1 question. Why does it take a year for testing? And what testing? Are u talkin bout the blood kit sample kit tjing?
\44/
/44\

Offline Karol

• Advocate for patients and organ donors
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Jenna after a day at Disneyland
    • Kidney For Jenna
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2013, 03:34:57 PM »
Wow that's a long evaluation time. Best wishes to you both!  :)
Daughter Jenna is 31 years old and was on dialysis.
7/17 She received a kidney from a living donor.
Please email us: kidney4jenna@gmail.com
Facebook for Jenna: https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
~ We are forever grateful to her 1st donor Patrice, who gave her 7 years of health and freedom

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2013, 06:34:12 PM »
Dear "Stpfan44",
     An initial drawing of a blood sample can determine whether there is enough of a "match" between the potential donor and the recipient to make a successful transplant possible. A LOT more blood is drawn to help determine the health of the kidneys, the general health of the donor, whether the donor carries transmissible disease, etc. Then there are other tests (cardiogram, chest x-ray, cancer checks, CT or other scans, possibly a stress test, 24-hour urine collection, etc.) both to evaluate the functioning of the donor's kidneys and the over-all health of the donor. They have to be fairly sure that the donor can give a kidney without harming his/her own health, that the donated kidney will be strong enough to take care of the recipient, and that no diseases are passed along with the kidney. Then there are interviews/tests to evaluate the psychological status of the donor, to be fairly sure that the donor is acting freely and well-informed, and will be able to handle the post-op possibility of stress/depression especially if the transplant turns out to be unsuccessful. A social worker may also interview the potential donor about ability to handle the financial losses often involved.
     If any of these tests raise questions they may have to be repeated, or be evaluated by different doctors.
     All of this can take time, and some hospitals may deliberately move slowly so as to give the potential donor plenty of space in which to decide not to proceed. So, some hospitals proceed more quickly, while others may go more slowly. But there is always a LOT of testing involved.
    best wishes,
   Fr. Pat

Offline Stpfan44

• Top 100 Poster!
  • headache drumroll
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2013, 03:32:24 AM »
Thank you Pat
\44/
/44\

Offline Mizchelle

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2013, 02:19:06 PM »
Such an EXCITING time!!! Congrats!!!

Offline sgrant1158

• Top 200 Poster!
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2013, 08:57:07 AM »
thanks everyone

looking forward to Jan now and helping my brother.

this took so long because at one time his doctor wanted to wait before surgery, not sure why, but now the doctor wants to go forward, so I had to re-do alot of the tests.

keep those prayers going for us

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved