| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: A sad reminder and more gratitude  (Read 4365 times)

Offline ohtobeahayes

• Top 25 Poster!
A sad reminder and more gratitude
« on: November 15, 2011, 12:24:32 PM »
As it so happens, my mom is in the ICU right now. She is actually going to live, but that wasn't what we were told on Friday. (She has colon cancer, and the surgery came apart causing sepsis on Friday night- but she is making it. Off ventilator and sitting up in a chair today. LONG road ahead, but we are not complaining after being brought to our knees this way).
That's not what I came to tell you though. The dialysis unit is in the ICU because so many there need it.
:(
Yesterday there was a man waiting in his wheelchair for "his turn" as it was a busy dialysis day. He probably wasn't 90 pounds anymore, and his color was horrible and it's very clear that time is running out for him.
It made me cry to see him, and to know that he is fully aware that time is so short. I feel sick for his pain, and for the pain of the people who love him to watch this happen. I so wish we had more kidneys.

So- thank you again to everyone who considers doing it and for those who have. It hurts like nothing else to see someone in that condition. I KNOW donating is a "big" deal, but I couldn't stop thinking "All it would take is a kidney..."

And thank you, Universe/God/Life for my body, for our bodies, that work so well. I've been amazed that I had 3 organs removed in 11 months time, and mom goes and gets rid of most of her large and small intestines and appendix (it's actually appendix cancer, so rare it gets grouped in with colon cancer in general) and we still just keep going.
Life is so fragile and so strong all at once.

Be the change!
Nicki

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: A sad reminder and more gratitude
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 05:05:24 PM »
Nicki,

So sorry to hear your Mom is ill. She is lucky to have so much family love and support as you all face this medical crisis.

I just began my clinical rotations in nursing school and I know what you mean about seeing so many sick people out there. We are eight students, each of us assigned a patient on an acute rehabilitation ward. Out of those eight at least two are on dialysis and a few others have diabetes or other diseases effecting cardiovascular and kidney health. If it were so easy to heal these patients with a new kidney, that would be miraculous. What often is the case, is that these patients have so many health issues that the kidney disease and dialysis is just one of a multitude of complications.

I couldn't agree with you more. Life is so fragile and so precious and our health is often overlooked or taken for granted and then it is too late.

Blessings to you and your family for continued good health.

Sherri
Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Offline WilliamLFreeman

• Top 25 Poster!
  • Blood is your renewable resource-please donate it!
Re: A sad reminder and more gratitude
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 08:53:09 PM »
Amen.

I am sorry for your Mom, but glad she is doing better.  And I am sorry for the other patients in both your lives.  And yes, life is to celebrate, and to contribute to.  As the saying goes from the ancient Rabbis, [something like] "To save a life is as though you saved the whole world."

Both  :'(  and  :)

Bill
Bill - living kidney donor (non-directed, Seattle, Nov 24, 2008), & an [aging] physician  :-)

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved