| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Donated 3 days ago. Everything went great.  (Read 6975 times)

jodyrn

Donated 3 days ago. Everything went great.
« on: December 11, 2011, 07:52:55 PM »
Dear folks:   I returned home yesterday, just two days after donating my right kidney as a non-directed donor.  I have to admit, I was a little nervous before the whole thing, but it went so much better than I could have ever imagined.  It has been a life changing event.  I was feeling a bit "depressed" before driving to UVA Thursday.  Some family members thought I might be having second thoughts, but it wasn't that at all.  I wanted to donate more than anything.  I was explaining the sadness to be like going through a pregnancy, giving birth, but not being allowed to see the child.  Well, as you may have read, God had a different plan.  UVA told the recipient that I didn't want to meet them. (A total lie. I told UVA I would love to meet them if they were interested)  I was told I had to wait one year, then the recipient contacts me.  Anyhow, while going over pre-surgery financial into, the lady at the desk mentioned that my recipient was in the waiting room and that HE wanted to meet me.  So, the rest is history.  It was such a moving experience.  I know that it helped in his as well as my recovery. 
I had a very difficult time waking up from anesthesia (4 hours in recovery) -then nausea and vomiting that night.  After that, I have had little pain and have felt great.  A little sore at times.  My gut still isn't working.  Hoping it will wake up soon. 
Well, I could go on for hours.  I have some really cool pictures of the kidney, the recipient and more.  If anyone wants to facebook me, my name is Jody Woodward.  Just message me and let me know you are from LDO. 
Thanks so much for answering my questions and being such a support.  This site really helped me.  Thanks Dr. Freeman for being my pal.    I will enjoy being in the club.          Jody

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
Re: Donated 3 days ago. Everything went great.
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 09:41:04 PM »
Congratulations!  Enjoy your homecoming, and walk, walk, walk.  Lots of Jody Woodwards on fb, so maybe if you join our Living Donors Online fb page, we'll know to message you!  Enjoy!
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
625 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Offline saskie1

• Top 200 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 11:18:19 PM »
I am happy things are going well for you.  Good luck with the rest of your recovery.  I will be donating my left kidney in two days.

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 11:26:16 PM »
Congratulations! Take good care of yourself and let yourself heal well.
     Fr. Pat

Offline ohtobeahayes

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 11:53:49 AM »
So awesome, J!  Congratulations of the highest order!  Our bodies are so fantastically cool!!!!  And I love how your story worked out with meeting your recipient. Awesomeness!!!!!
Hoping for a nice poo for you soon! :)
Congrats again!!!!!

Nicki
Be the change!
Nicki

jodyrn

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 09:35:51 PM »
Dear Saskie:  Sending out positive thoughts and prayers.  All the best with your donation.  You will do fine.

Nicki:  Yes, our bodies are way cool.  LOL  The "gut" finally worked today.  Thanks.   :)

Clark:  I will try and find the LDO FB page.  Thanks a bunch. 

Offline Oldnslow

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 10:22:20 PM »
Congratulations Jodryn!   I'm glad you were able to meet your recipient.    My brother and I celebrated this weekend.  Very fun & reaffirming.

Take it easy on the recovery. 

Oldnslow
Oldnslow

"Donated kidney to my brother on Dec 8, 2008"

Offline Aries7

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 12:14:37 AM »
Congratulations Jody!

I am so glad to hear that you are doing well. Welcome to the club!! :)

Linda
Linda
Donated left kidney to Husband
October 8, 2009 at UW Madison

Offline Scott337

• Top 25 Poster!
  • You may never know the burdens others carry
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 12:48:50 AM »
Welcome to the club Jody.  So glad things went well and you are so positive post-op.  I agree with you wholeheartedly, it really is a life-changing experience. I'm always felt that I gained as much, if not more, than my recipient ever did.  At any rate, Happy Recovery to you.  Rest, take it slowly and listen to your body.  Prayers and best wishes to you and your recipient.  God Bless friend.

Scott    8)
Scott

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved