| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: 7 Days after transplant full stomach???  (Read 6760 times)

Offline gbug12001

• Top 200 Poster!
7 Days after transplant full stomach???
« on: April 26, 2012, 09:15:59 PM »
My question

I constantly feel full.  I'm eating 1/8 of what I used to and feel full all day.  I even turned down ice cream... and I NEVER turn down ice cream.  7 days out and I'm down 10 lbs.... Not that I can't afford to loose a couple but 10 is about it... 

Did anyone else have this problem?  I crave food but just can't eat it.

Thanks

Jacqui

Offline jennybebopper

• Top 50 poster!
Re: 7 Days after transplant full stomach???
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 09:25:00 PM »
I was the exact same way.  Fortunately (or unfortunately, as I could've used the weight loss) my appetite came back full force probably after a few weeks to a month.  In the meantime, eat whatever sounds good.  I found myself eating really small, simple healthy meals, i.e. chicken breast & cooked veggies, yogurt & granola, to make sure I got some protein for energy.

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 12:00:36 AM »
     I found that after donation I would feel full after eating just a small amount. This gradually went away over the folowing weeks. I agree with Jenny's advice above: eat small portions of healthful food. DON'T try to finish evrything on your plate. Stop if you feel full and then eat a little something more later when you feel like it. If one spoonful of ice cream is enough for now, just take one spoonful.
Don't try to shift right back to your regular diet, as your system may not be able to handle that for a while.
     Please let us know how things go.
           best wishes,
                Fr. Pat

Offline Jewels

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 10:05:59 AM »
Hi Jacqui - Congratulations on being "on the other side!"  This sounds very similar to what I went through...it does pass!  I lost 14 lbs. in 2 weeks due to no appetite and quite a bit a nausea.  Saltines, pita chips, grilled cheese and mac & cheese were about the only things I could eat (my kids dream diet.)  At 2 weeks + 2 days I felt hungry for the first time, it was joyous!  I could only eat little bits but by about 4-5 weeks my appetite was almost back to normal.  I was kind of hoping it would stay light and I would be one of those people that eat like bird.  No such luck - it is hearty as it used to be!

Good luck - take it slow and eat what sounds good...and drinks lots of water!
Julie
Living Kidney Donor, to my adopted sister
July 15, 2011

Offline MissFrizz

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 07:17:12 PM »
I'm day 6 post op and I feel exactly the same.  I keep putting little bites in my mouth just for the sake of eating, but I am not ever "hungry." 
Stephanie

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." - John Wayne

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 08:04:46 PM »
      Some donors find that if they are eating very little during the post-op weeks it can be helpful to buy some "Ensure" or other nutritious drink supplement and take a sip now and then throughout the day, just to make sure that some basic nutrients are getting through until normal appetite returns.
   Fr. Pat

Offline helpin mom

• Top 200 Poster!
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 10:01:40 AM »
     I am 11 days post opt, I still dont have much of an appitite yet, all people are different. I eat a few small meals during the day trying to eat more at supper. I still fill kinda bloated but not complaining too much, need to loose a few pounds lol.

Offline PaulaHalvo

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 04:31:01 PM »
Yep, totally normal.  But then one day I was hungry and now I wish my appetite would go away again!

Offline That guy

• Top 200 Poster!
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2012, 09:25:32 AM »
Oh yeah.  That's normal.  I think it too me well over a month to get back to eating "normally".  I found that Jello and fruit agreed with me the most.

Offline CK

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2012, 08:29:50 PM »
Yeah, it's normal. I remember thinking coffee sounded disgusting for about two weeks, and I love my morning cup of coffee.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional