| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: a question about meds  (Read 4371 times)

Offline sandypandy

• Top 200 Poster!
a question about meds
« on: September 12, 2012, 07:12:21 AM »
Hey Im new here

I donated my kidney 18 months ago and all is well thankfully

But i have a question and i wondered if anyone could help me, thank you.

My dr has just put me on citalopram for depression only a starting dose of 10mg (1 week ago)
I have been on these before a few years ago before i donated and i had no side effects

I just wondered if when you have donate a kidney do you get worse side effects of meds because i feel so fuzzy in head, have bad headaches, i didnt get these before and i used to take 60mg,  I even find it harder to drink alcohol (tho thats not a bad thing !)
Can meds effect you more, should i continue taking this medication ?

Thanku in advance
sandy

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: a question about meds
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 07:02:47 PM »
Sandy,

Don't discontinue a medicine without consulting your doctor. Some medications need to be tapered off. Just call and report your side effects. Make sure your doctor is aware that you have one kidney now. If this medication is excreted through the kidney and your kidney function is still compromised your body may have trouble metabolizing it.  He/she may have to switch you to a new medication. But best to consult with a physician.

Let us know how it works out.

Sherri

Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 07:40:16 PM »
     A number of kidney donors have reported that alcohol e.ffects them more strongly than it did before donation. That might apply to other meds as well. Always be sure to tell any doctor you are dealing with that you have one kidney, and ask whether dosage should be adjusted for that. Sometimes the Doc may have to research the data to see if having one kidney will have an effect on how a medicine will work (or even whether it is safe to take a certain medicine with one kidney). Make sure you report to the Doc ANY unusual side-effects. Please let us know how things go.
    best wishes,
       Fr. Pat

Offline sandypandy

• Top 200 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 08:23:29 AM »
Thank you for your replies sherri and Fr pat

Im due to see dr in a week so will ask them then, the dr does know i have one kidney maybe like you said the effects of meds arent always known on people with one kidney, i have also started having pain in the remaining kidney area too so will also mention that also

thank you

Sandy

Offline cupid

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 01:12:11 PM »
I can absolutely tell the difference when drinking alcohol. I've never been a big drinker but now even two glasses of wine gets me a bit buzzed and leaves me with a raging hangover. But of course, I keep having my wine so it can't bother me that much!

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved