| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Scar fade products?  (Read 7841 times)

Offline MissFrizz

• Top 25 Poster!
Scar fade products?
« on: July 06, 2012, 06:56:56 AM »
Has anyone used any scar fading products?  What did you use and how did it work?
Stephanie

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." - John Wayne

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Scar fade products?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 09:48:41 AM »
After a few months when my scar was healing I used one of the over the counter scar fading creams (generic). Don't know if it actually helped anymore than leaving it alone. I have always used some type of moisturizing body creams (nothing expensive) and it has helped keep my skin soft. My scar is barely noticeable. I have very light skin on my belly and the scar is a little white than my skin and is about 2.5 to 3 inches long. Sliding my hand over it I can barely feel the difference. There is a little bit of a "pucker" of skin to the right of the scar but next to all my stretchmarks and "extra skin" from pregnancies it really isn't noticeable. I do think moisturizing helps but I'm not sure if the expensive scar fading creams actually do any better.

Sherri
Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Offline Rinnierich

• Top 100 Poster!
  • I gave a doctor his life back.
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 11:43:59 AM »
I have found my scars fading more and more as time goes on. I am now 8 months post op from donating. I have always just made and effort to keep the areas lubricated with lotion and it has made a big difference. Just try using cocoa butter or a baby lotion.

Offline MissFrizz

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 12:35:05 PM »
Thank you.  I wasn't sure it was worth buying anything special.
Stephanie

Offline Rinnierich

• Top 100 Poster!
  • I gave a doctor his life back.
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 01:10:55 PM »
I think it honestly depends on your skin type as well but try the lotion route first! The scar creams can be really over priced. Also you could try vitamin e and get the tablets and break them open and rub the oil on your scars.

Offline MissFrizz

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 07:18:04 AM »
Good idea!  Will do!  I noticed that my c-section scar is really hard to find after 2 years.  So, I would expect this one to be the same but I guess I was hoping to rush it since the nephrectomy scar is in a more obvious place and honestly if things had worked out better, I'd be showing it off.  But as things are, I'd like to see it go away sooner rather than later. 
Stephanie

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 04:11:53 PM »
Let us know what you use, Stephanie, and how it works for you. Would be useful information to have!

Within a year, my two port hole scars were almost invisible, and you wouldn't recognize the main scar unless you were looking for it.
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Offline lawphi

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 06:53:10 PM »
Retin A is the best and a $10 copay.  You should only use a pea size amount on all scars.

I am one year post and my scars have significantly faded.  You can only see two small incisions
Bridge Paired Exchange donor on behalf of my husband (re-transplant) at Johns Hopkins.

Offline poodles

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 04:05:06 PM »
My physio suggested cheapest over the counter Vitamin E capsules. Stick a pin in the end & squeeze over the scar. In the end everything sorted itself out.

Offline peterduvall

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2012, 11:44:05 PM »
MissFrizz

Hi, I donated 5 years ago - laparoscopic nephrectomy.

I was with my 4 year old nephew recently. He's never at a loss for endless questions. Somehow he asked if I'd ever been in a hospital. I told him about giving my father a part of my body that my father needed more than I did (a kidney).

Nephew - how did they get your kitney outta there?
Me - I gave him a simple explanation, his eyes got wide.......
Nephew - was there blood?
Me - a little
Nephew - can I see the scars?
Me - sure

No luck finding the 3 laparoscopic scars, or even the lower incision - we were both totally disappointed.

Newphew - well.........I guess your'e all better now
Me - yes, I'm all better.

Peter

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional