| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Has anyone here had a Glofil test?  (Read 8905 times)

Offline MissFrizz

• Top 25 Poster!
Has anyone here had a Glofil test?
« on: January 06, 2012, 12:20:10 PM »
Hi, I'm scheduled for my day of tests next month and I will be taking the Glofil test.  I understand they only do this in a few centers around the country.  Has anyone done this?  Is there discomfort when they inject the dye?  What can I expect?  Thank you.

(I realize how silly it is to be concerned about "discomfort" during a preliminary test, but I want to know what to expect)
Stephanie

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." - John Wayne

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Has anyone here had a Glofil test?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 03:37:23 PM »
I had one. It is supposed to provide one of the most accurate readings of your GFR. My initial "plain jane" test of GFR was deemed as not accurate - it showed I had the kidneys of an 80 year old woman!

No more discomfort that taking blood, it just is over a period of time. They will insert one of the iv type things in your arm so they can do multiple blood draws without having to poke you each time. They insert a small amount of radioactive material into the iv, then ask you to drink a small dixie cup of an iodine type solution that is supposed to block your thyroid from capturing the radioactive material. They then draw blood and continue to draw blood at various points over a period of time which will measure the level in your system and thus the capacity at which your kidneys are filtering.

Not uncomfortable - just time consuming. Make sure to bring a book!
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Offline MissFrizz

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 10:27:48 AM »
Thank you.  I haven't had many medical tests done, other than ultrasounds and bloodwork. 
Stephanie

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." - John Wayne

Offline cupid

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 10:21:27 PM »
I had one done last month-no discomfort or problems at all. They did tell me to make sure I super hydrate the day before as this makes the test more reliable and less uncomfortable. There was zero discomfort on getting the 'dye' and they live the butterfly in so you just get stuck once instead of multiple times. It takes hours so just keep something to keep you busy

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved