| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Creatinine is good, but GRF is low at 55  (Read 4332 times)

Offline Sandy Wright

• Conversationalist
  • I'm new!
Creatinine is good, but GRF is low at 55
« on: June 06, 2016, 08:10:51 PM »
I am new to this forum.  I donated my kidney in 2007.  I was told about 3 years ago that I was in stage 3 kidney failure.  My original transplant surgeon told me not to worry - that I should not develop kidney disease and everything was fine with my age.  I am not 66 and saw that my creatinine is 1.01 but my GFR (non African Amer) is low at 55. the chart says it should be greater than 59.  Is this something I should be worried about?  My doctors where I live now are not that familiar with donors.  Is this normal for someone who donated 9 years ago?  I do not know what my numbers were before.

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Creatinine is good, but GRF is low at 55
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016, 07:02:45 AM »
Sandy,

the lab where you have your blood work done just punches in the numbers into a GFR calculator similar to this one below. It is only an estimate using your creatinine, age, gender and race. There are a few threads on this forum that talk about calculating GFR and creatinine specifically for donors who have a solitary kidney. You may find them very interesting. Since you say your doctors do not have experience with donors, perhaps you can establish a relationship with a nephrologist. Before putting you into a category of reduced kidney function, one should also look at your blood pressure, urine protein or microalbumin and your standard labs for complete blood count and chemistry.

https://www.davita.com/gfr-calculator/?gclid=CjwKEAjw4dm6BRCQhtzl6Z6N4i0SJADFPu1nIsC5v3Ve91yQu2__r4bhWUa_YQ0QFdV965gwAA3EqBoC-57w_wcB
Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Offline Sandy Wright

• Conversationalist
  • I'm new!
Re: Creatinine is good, but GRF is low at 55
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2016, 01:20:38 PM »
Thank you so much

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved