| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Preparing for donation  (Read 4157 times)

Offline Brok10

• My first post!
  • I'm new!
Preparing for donation
« on: September 17, 2013, 03:18:49 AM »
Hello,
I am new here and I have just started my preliminary process for a paired kidney donation program. I am not a match for my recipient, and I guess I have many questions for those who have donated. I have sent my blood work and initial health information to where it needs to be, but having trepidation on the next part of the process, and I suspect the process in general. Just general fear I guess it is of life pre donation, and life post donation, the surgical process, and recovery. And all of those questions in no particular order. I am a generally very active and healthy woman who is 40, with no children, I work as a nurse, and I am paired with my ex-husband and we are on excellent terms. My parents and partner are not supporting my decision because they do not understand why I would donate, and they fear for my health. I am hoping to have some first hand experiences to alleviate their fears and my own. Mine being mostly life post donation I guess. Any ideas, information, or just thoughts is readily welcomed.... Thank you

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Preparing for donation
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 09:34:47 AM »
Dear Brok10,

There are plenty of people here who will understand your compassionate desire to donate. 

We've all had to face our own fears and those of our loved ones.  Many people become less fearful as they are educated about living donation.  I think it is important to fully understand the risks and to be prepared for the impact of this major surgery, both short and long term.   

As for me, I found the testing process to be interesting and not frightening.  You are actually receiving an excellent health assessment. If any threat to your health is discovered, then you have a great opportunity to deal with it immediately. 

Deciding to begin testing is not a committement to donation.  Donors can withdraw from the process at any time with the full support of the medical team.  Other donors may come forward, you may not be a suitable donor, you recipient may not be approved for a transplant - there are many variables! 

I even found the day of surgery to be very interesting, right up to the point where the anesthesia was administered...I walked into the operating room and had a good look at everything before I got on the table.  Afterwards, not so great,  but I knew that was going to happen.  Of course, seeing Daddy looking well and loving my kidney put it all to paid. 

Read older posts, there is a wealth of great information here.   Then you will come up with more questions of your own.

Love, elephant

Offline res5137

• Top 200 Poster!
  • I'm new!
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 08:32:35 PM »
Dear Brok 10 - I am a old... old ... living donor... 13 years... and just as spunky as the day I donated. My way of giving back for all the people who helped my husband and myself, has been to be a cheerleader and resource for other living donors... I have been involved in at least 2 dozen living donations over the last 10 years.... all, each and everyone... of the donors... me too... are doing well. Each donation experience is unique.... most donors are up and out of the hospital in two or three days.... and I do know where there have been MINOR complications and a donor has stayed 5 - 7 days... and ALL the donors.. I know of are WELL today...
By the way I will be 70 in January and the oldest lady on my tennis team... I feel great and am "stuck" with my hubby who received my kidney and a pancreas after and is working but has a lousy golf swing.... and three new grandchildren since his transplants... Feel free to ask me anything.. I advise, soft clothing one size larger for the bottom, and happy slippers... I advise a designated person to stay with you.... until you are out of pain... and your surgeon's phone number by your bed side, to contact, if any of your concerns are not attended to ...
Be well, please do not hesitate to ask any questions... Sincerely, Rhoda

Offline sally

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 04:06:46 PM »
Hi, Brok10. I am a 42 y/o woman, and I donated in May of this year. Just over 5 months post op & I feel great! I'm very active & busy. I have 2 kids age 15 & 19, I work full time, go to school part time, and I'm also in the Navy Reserves. At this point I have no physical limitations. I walk about 3 miles a day & run 5 miles a couple times a week.
The donation process was a very positive experience for me, and I would do it all over again in a heartbeat. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Offline loustar

• Top 200 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 06:19:22 PM »
Hi there.  I just donated to my uncle back in August.  I also found all of the pre-tests very interesting.  Like elephant said above, if you ever feel uncomfortable with the process, you can drop out at any time.  There is no stigma, and if there is pressure from family, the doctors can tell them that you didn't pass a medical test without disclosing the reasons why they dropped you.

I also had a very positive experience with the surgery and the recovery.  I think this is a great place to reach out to people who have been through the surgery to help you with what to expect post-surgery.  I wish I had found this forum prior to my surgery.

Feel free to reach out with any questions you might have.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved