| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: New to the board  (Read 3931 times)

Offline BrendaL

• My first post!
  • I'm new!
New to the board
« on: September 11, 2014, 03:57:17 PM »
Hi, I just decided to join this group as I am in the approval process of being a non-directed donor. I've used forums for other things (such as my favorite, planning Disney trips) and have found them useful sources and great support systems. I've read some of the posts here and you all seem like such a nice group and I'm looking forward to taking my journey with all of you. I am at this time not telling any of my family or friends (outside of my husband and my cousin who just recently did the same and is the one who inspired me to do this) so having a place that I can go to and share my feelings, concerns, joys, etc as I go down this road means a lot to me.

I have just passed the initial "application" phase (although I was a little worried as there was some initial concern with my family having a blood clotting disorder) and will hopefully have the lab testing portion completed next week. My weight is a bit on the high side so I have been dieting and exercising up to 3 hours a day since I put in my application just over a week ago and am down 5 pounds so hopefully, I will be fit and ready for this when the time comes.

Thanks for offering a place where I could come and talk with others who understand this process and this decision.

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: New to the board
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 10:56:25 AM »
Dear Brenda,

Welcome to the forum!

Keep us updated on your progress. 

It's a great idea to get fit before a major surgery.  This will help with recovery.  And make plans to continue your fitness plan and  good diet permanently! 

Love, elephant

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
Re: New to the board
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 08:45:26 AM »
Dear Brenda,

How's it going? Usually by a couple of months into the process donor candidates have started to experience reactions from the transplant center staff, general medical staff doing testing, and family and friends. Do you have questions or concerns we might be able to empathize with and discuss from our perspectives? Best wishes.
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved