| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Question re: assistance for donor expenses  (Read 4702 times)

heatherway30

Question re: assistance for donor expenses
« on: October 07, 2011, 07:19:29 PM »
http://helpmedonoatemykidney.chipin.com/kidney-donors-travel-expenses

I am able and willing to donate to a gentleman asap. His kidney function is at 8% and he is in dire need of a transplant.  The hospital however does not allow the recipients to pay a dime.  I have searched all over the net and this was all I could find to possibly raise money for my travel, lodging, and post-transplant care,,,  any leads appreciated!

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Question re: assistance for donor expenses
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 02:46:16 AM »
     According to U.S. law, the recipient (if willing and able) may legally reemburse the donor for lost wages during surgery and recovery, and for travel, lodging and other expenses directly related to the donation. You may not legally make any financial profit. Perhaps there was a misunderstanding with the hospital? It is true that the recipient may not "pay" you for the kidney, but the recipient CAn reemburse for losses, and is free to organize fund-raising events, etc. for that purpose.
    best wishes,
   Fr. Pat

Offline Michael

• Founder of LDO
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
    • Living Donors Online
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 11:38:42 AM »
Where are you located? Where are you trying to donate?
Michael
Living Donors Online
Our mission: to improve the living donation experience

Offline Scott337

• Top 25 Poster!
  • You may never know the burdens others carry
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 10:13:56 PM »
Some transplant centers have grant-programs or financial programs that will reimburse donors for some related expenses (each is a little different).  You should check with the transplant coordinator or social worker attached to the program.  Part of their jobs are to make certain to provide for the donor's education, informed consent, mitigation of financial hardships, etc....   Additionally, many States have enacted enabling legislation for a one-time tax deduction for donors which is directly linked to lost wages, personal costs associated with the donation/surgery, etc... not all States have adopted this, but those who have are each a bit different from each other.  You could also look at the Federal IRS "Living Organ Donor Tax Credit Act of 2009" at  http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c111:H.R.218:      

Often, recipient families will organize fund-raisers for just this type of assistance to donors.  Good luck and I hope you're able to find some help.  

Scott  8)
Scott

rtufts

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 10:36:24 PM »
My husband needs a liver transplant and the University of Minnesota and the Mayo Clinics both have scholarships available for donors lodging, meals and possibly transportation.  Here is the U's phone numbers for more info 612-625-5115 or 800-328-5465 and their website http://www.uofmmedicalcenter.org/Specialties/LiverTransplant/Livingliverdonorprogram/index.htm   I looked but this info may be in the printed material we got. 

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional