| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Made it through/air travel/stiff back  (Read 7654 times)

Offline shelby

• Top 200 Poster!
Made it through/air travel/stiff back
« on: October 12, 2011, 05:17:43 PM »
I wrote a few weeks ago  seeking help to overcome anxiety. The good news is that the surgery took place one week ago and thus far has been successful and my friend now has a functioning kidney and has seen her creatinine fall from 700+ to 123. Thanks to all contributors for the wealth of information shared on this board to help us potential donors become more knowledgeable. With the surgery behind me, I can see that fear of the unknown was almost more crippling than the surgery itself. Although, I must say that I have a new admiration for you altruistic donors. The recovery is tolerable but to go through it for other than a loved one takes a special person. Two questions
1. I am scheduled to travel in one month's time - 4 hour flight - should I expect any problems, or any suggestions to prepare?
2. Any suggestions for dealing with stiff back - not use to lying around all day!
Donated to friend

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Made it through/air travel/stiff back
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 05:27:05 PM »
Congratulations and glad to hear the surgery went well. The more time out I think the more the anxiety level drops.

In terms of travel shouldn't be a problem just make sure to move around or do the leg exercises to prevent blood clots (everyone should do that on a long flight). check with your doctor if you are concerned.

Stiff back is expected from lying around. Try to move around more. I started with short walks just around the block and then added each day. Try not to lay around on your back. Sit in a recliner of use pillows for propping. you can do some stretching exercises that don't involve your abdominal muscles.

So nice to be on the other side, isn't it?

Take care

Sherri
Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 07:28:53 PM »
      Congratulations on the donation!
      For flying that soon after donation, bringing a small pillow or blanket to put between you and the seat belt might be helpful if you still have soreness at incisions.
      For the back, in adition to gentle bending and stretching, it can be good to be conscious of returning to your normal posture (standing, sitting, walking, sleeping). Many donors tend to unconsciously hunch over a bit to try to avoid incision pain, and that strains back muscles by using them in an ususal way.
           best wishes,
                  Fr. Pat

Offline bergstromtori

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 10:55:53 AM »
Congratulations!
The donation is being made because I wish that someone could have done something like this to save my moms life.  I am not going to let a disease take my friend from his three kids the way my mom was taken from me, my brother and sister.

Offline audrey12

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 11:00:16 AM »
I flew home two weeks post-op.  My surgeon had me take one aspirin the day before the flight, and one the day of the flight.  See if you can get seats in the front row at the bulkhead, or in the exit row.  Then you can stretch your legs and stand up.  I found that if I called the frequent flyer program rep and explained the situation about the transplant, they were very accomodating.
audrey

Offline lawphi

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 03:03:36 PM »
Heating pads are great for your stiff back!  The stiffness decreases daily for several weeks.  I also had a massage three weeks post op.

You should be fine to travel, just follow the recommendations for lifting.

Bridge Paired Exchange donor on behalf of my husband (re-transplant) at Johns Hopkins.

Offline shelley

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 07:02:30 AM »
I second the motion for heating pads.  My heating pad is my new bff because I've had recurring back pain since my donation 7 wks ago.

If you can get a first class ticket, do it.  Splurge for once in your life, you donated a kidney!  There's soooo much more room and the bathroom's closer.

Re:  Fr. Pat's suggestion about the pillow...the flight attendants might tell you you can't use it under your seatbelt, but just tell them you just donated a kidney and your doctor told you to protect the incision.  Then they get all fawny over you and bring you extra things, heh.

Offline Snoopy

• Top 10 Poster!
  • Non-directed donation, Oct., 2011
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2011, 02:52:12 PM »
Hi, Shelby.
  Congratulations on the donation.
  One other thing about travel--remember the restrictions on lifting.  Plan out in advance how to deal with your suitcase, carry-on, etc., on both ends of the trip.  And that includes wrestling your case on and off your bed for packing, checking its weight, etc.
  One thing that I noticed a few days ago when I checked out of the hospital after my own surgery: I can't really open heavy doors.  I had to apologize to an older (sixty-ish) lady who was leaving the building at the same time and explain that (despite my appearing to be a normal, strapping younger [well, almost 49 years old] guy), she'd have to open the door for us.
    Good luck!
    Snoopy

Offline WilliamLFreeman

• Top 25 Poster!
  • Blood is your renewable resource-please donate it!
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2011, 10:40:25 PM »
Shelby,

First, CONGRATULATIONS, and WELCOME!   ;D

Second, great advice from everyone, as usual -- especially planning how you will handle your luggage.  Don't be embarrassed or too proud to ask for assistance, including putting a carry-on overhead.  (I was embarrassed and too proud at first for I took my first 2 trips -- you know about us men, right? -- but I then thought about the possibility of ending up with an incisional hernia, and asked for assistance my entire trips.)    :)

Third, additional advice:  wear varicose-vein-reducing knee-length support hose:  Even at 4 weeks post-op, your body is still at higher risk to develop "deep-vein thrombosis" [= blood clots] in the inner larger veins of your legs, especially starting in the veins of your calves.  That can lead to a large blood clot breaking free and lodging in your lungs.  Not good to have happen.  Longer airplane trips as well are a proven risk factor to develop that.  As Sherri posted, get up & walk the plane, at least hourly.  IN ADDITION, I suggest wearing a good pair of to-the-knee tight, fitting, elastic support hose.  "Jobst stockings" [brand name] have been what MDs usually prescribe or recommend, but they are much more expensive than "Futuro" that are at least just as good if they fit you.  "Futuro" is the brand name in the US; Futuro has a few other stocking that are not designed for this function, but [as I recall] has 2 types that are designed to manage "varicose veins."  They come in different sizes, so measure your knee-to-heel length and also the circumference of your calves at its the widest point [better yet, bring a tape measure with you].  Most large pharmacies carry Futuro at least, & some Jobst as well.  I wear mine now every time I take an airplane flight, because age is yet a third proven risk factor.  [& no, I neither have stock nor am paid by either company!]   ;)

Safe travels!

Bill
Bill - living kidney donor (non-directed, Seattle, Nov 24, 2008), & an [aging] physician  :-)

cmsatts

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 02:07:33 PM »
Hi,
I travelled from Tucson to Seattle 2 weeks after my donation, and I was very nervous.  I checked my bags at the curb, so I didn't have to stand in line, or pull them along.  I also asked for a disability early boarding pass, so when they called for wheelchairs, and families with young children, I did get a few glances from people wondering why I was so special.  The extra time to get settled before the general boarding invasion started was so helpful.

I carried on a small pillow and blanket, and the pillow worked great between my tummy and the seatbelt.  My back was aching by the time we landed, and I wish I had foreseen that happening.  But, I just kept telling myself that it was almost over.

I have to say, the toughest part was the pre-fight anxiety.  The old saying that that the worry will kill you is pretty true.  It went all in all very smoothly and felt good to be home in my own bed again.

Good luck.
Cindy

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved