| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Just getting started...  (Read 8271 times)

Offline Meredith

• Top 200 Poster!
Just getting started...
« on: October 17, 2011, 07:15:00 PM »
Hello there,

I am so glad to have found this group, as I feel a little alone in the outside world in this part of my life.

My mother is on the cusp of full kidney failure, and I decided a few months ago to see if I could possibly be a donor for her.  I found out that I was the same blood type as her, which is key since she's an O.  Then I convinced her that this is really and truly something I want to do, since she was adament that I not be a donor at first. 

Today I turned in the lovely 24 hour urine collection, which had its own humorous moments all along.  (They gave me a large orange jug to collect it in -- it looked like and orange juice bottle!)  My only downfall is that the directions didn't clearly state that it should be refrigerated, so I kept it on the cold bottom of my bathtub.  Hopefully that won't hurt things.  I'm scheduled this Thursday and Friday to spend a day and a half in San Francisco for the round of tests and meetings to see if I really am a candidate for her.  I'm oddly nervous about it and I don't know why.  Not afraid, just wishing someone was going with me, but I'll be on my own for this one.  Maybe it's the fear of driving in SF.  ;)

So that's me -- wanted to say hello and thought I would jump in with an intro.  I look forward to getting to know the community here and am so glad for the opportunity.

Meredith
Meredith

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Just getting started...
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 09:36:30 PM »
Welcome Meredith!

It may be a long haul with all the testing, a few ups and downs along the way. You may want to keep a journal as you travel down the donation path. Might be nice to look back on and also can be therapeutic. Ask any questions, you see we cover a broad range of topics. Keep us posted on your journey to donation.

Sherri
Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Offline Oldnslow

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 10:56:11 PM »
Good Luck Meridith - I've forgot all the individual tests, but there were a passel of them.  More tests is a good thing.   I went through it twice for my brother.   Half way through his insurance changed, and  we had to start it all over again.  Second place seemed more thorough to me.   I found out what was healthy and a few surprises for me along the way like enlarged prostate (turned out to be BPH). 

I can understand driving in Frisco & it can be scary.  I was there in 1989 for the big quake.  Was just south of the airport doing about  70 on the freeway when it hit.  Wild ride for sure..  I was lucky as it wasn't the road that collapsed.   

You'll definitely need some help when you donate.   Also, if they make you do a colon test, you'll need someone to drive you.   Hopefully you'll find some local help and support there.

This is a great forum - lots of help and support.

Cheers
Oldnslow
Oldnslow

"Donated kidney to my brother on Dec 8, 2008"

Offline Meredith

• Top 200 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 12:04:45 AM »
Welcome Meredith!

It may be a long haul with all the testing, a few ups and downs along the way. You may want to keep a journal as you travel down the donation path. Might be nice to look back on and also can be therapeutic. Ask any questions, you see we cover a broad range of topics. Keep us posted on your journey to donation.

Sherri

Thanks Sherri!  Great tip on the journaling -- I keep one anyway, so really being faithful about writing about this experience is a great suggestion.  Thank you.  :)
Meredith
Meredith

Offline Meredith

• Top 200 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 12:07:13 AM »

I can understand driving in Frisco & it can be scary.  I was there in 1989 for the big quake.  Was just south of the airport doing about  70 on the freeway when it hit.  Wild ride for sure..  I was lucky as it wasn't the road that collapsed.   

Funny that you mention that -- it was 22 years ago today!  I can't imagine being on the freeway -- I was just sitting in front of my street and watched the concrete just roll along. 
Thank you for the kind words.  I'm hopeful that everything will go well and that I'll be a match, but trying to be patient in the mean time.  :)
Meredith

Offline Snoopy

• Top 10 Poster!
  • Non-directed donation, Oct., 2011
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 10:08:15 AM »
My only downfall is that the directions didn't clearly state that it should be refrigerated, so I kept it on the cold bottom of my bathtub.  Hopefully that won't hurt things. 
Hi, Meredith.
     Good luck with all the testing.
     As someone who had to perform the 24-hour urine collection (a possibly record) five times, I can tell you that nobody (across two separate health systems) cared if I kept the samples in the fridge--though many on this board were told to do that. 
     Hopefully, the way you stored the specimen won't mess anything up.
     BUT--if for some reason one of the results comes out problematic, don't give up.  Insist on a re-test (that's how I ended up doing that test five times).
         Be well, Snoopy

Offline audrey12

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 10:12:25 AM »
Hi, I'm in the SF area, on the Peninsula.  If you'd like some support or just want to talk, or some company, send me a message and we can get together.  I'm happy to be your transplant buddy, if you have the need.

audrey

Offline treehugger

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 03:08:16 PM »
I'm scheduled this Thursday and Friday to spend a day and a half in San Francisco for the round of tests and meetings to see if I really am a candidate for her.  I'm oddly nervous about it and I don't know why.  Not afraid, just wishing someone was going with me, but I'll be on my own for this one.  Maybe it's the fear of driving in SF. 

Good luck to you on your (and your mother's) journey. Are you going to UCSF? That's where I donated. I, too, don't care for driving in the city, so I took BART (I live in the northeast bay) and then a bus to get to UCSF. It takes awhile, but it's easy. They even have a free shuttle if you need to go between their facilities for your tests.

Cheers,
Kara
Donated left kidney to my husband via paired exchange on 12/17/09.

Offline Aries7

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 11:02:42 PM »
Hello Meredith and Welcome!

I am also so glad you found us! There are such a bunch of truly great people on this board. Don't hesitiate to ask any kidney/donation related questions you may have as you are going through the testing/donation process. Odds are very high that someone on here will have an answer. Folks here are always so happy to answer questions and share their own experiences both pre and post donation and offer so much support.

In regards to the 24 hour urine test, I was told I did not have to refigerate mine, and I did not do so. Best of luck to you with your upcoming testing. Please do let us know how it goes!

Best Wishes,

Linda
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 11:30:50 PM by Aries7 »
Linda
Donated left kidney to Husband
October 8, 2009 at UW Madison

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved