| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Screening Live Kidney Donors for Endemic Infections: A View on the UNOS Policy  (Read 2535 times)

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/ajt.12666/abstract

Considerations for Screening Live Kidney Donors for Endemic Infections: A Viewpoint on the UNOS Policy
M. E. Levi1,*, D. Kumar2, M. Green3, M. G. Ison4,5, D. Kaul6, M. G. Michaels3, M. I. Morris7, B. S. Schwartz8, I. A. Echenique4,5, E. A. Blumberg9 andon behalf of the AST ID Community of Practice
DOI: 10.1111/ajt.12666
American Journal of Transplantation
Early View (Online Version of Record published before inclusion in an issue)

Abstract

In February 2013, the Organ Procurement and Transplantation Network mandated that transplant centers perform screening of living kidney donors prior to transplantation for Strongyloides, Trypanosoma cruzi and West Nile virus (WNV) infection if the donor is from an endemic area. However, specific guidelines for screening were not provided, such as the optimal testing modalities, timing of screening prior to donation and the appropriate selection of donors. In this regard, the American Society of Transplantation Infectious Diseases Community of Practice, together with disease-specific experts, has developed this viewpoint document to provide guidance for the testing of live donors for Strongyloides, T. cruzi and WNV infection, specifically identifying at-risk populations and testing algorithms, including advantages, limitations and interpretation of results.
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional