| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Donated 6/15/12--looking for recovery advice  (Read 6141 times)

Offline youkali7

• Conversationalist
Donated 6/15/12--looking for recovery advice
« on: August 06, 2012, 06:35:50 PM »
Hello fellow donors,

I donated my kidney to my finance on 6/15 at UCSF. The surgery went very well and so far his test results have been stellar. I do have some questions about my recovery though. Generally, it has been going well but I am having issues with fatigue and low energy (which I know is common for donors.) I am back at work, however, and struggling more with my energy levels. Granted, it has only been a month and a half since the surgery but are there things people have done that have helped with getting back to normal? Particular vitamins, diet etc? This is my first (and hopefully only) surgery and this ongoing fatigue is getting frustrating. I know some patience is in order but I would like to do what I can to get back to my regular life.

Thanks!

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Donated 6/15/12--looking for recovery advice
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 07:58:55 PM »
     Hi. One important suggestion is to make sure you are getting enough sleep. Many donors have reported the need for an earlier bed-time and also a nap. The experts say that most Americans normally don't get enough sleep, and build up a "sleep debt". During recovery you may need even more sleep, so if you have returned to your regular sleeping habits it may not be sufficient. It can be hard these days to turn off the computer, TV and phone and get to bed earlier, but it may be worth the effort. And a 10 or 15 minute "power nap" (even at work if you can manage it) here and there may help also.
     Please kepp us informed about how things go.
   best wishes,
        Fr. Pat

Offline cupid

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 01:41:14 PM »
It is just going to take some time. I  probably didn't feel 'normal' for at least three months after I donated. Make sure you are walking, drinking a lot of water and getting plenty of rest. And then rest some more. Your body has just been through a lot of trauma-it needs to heal
Best wishes

Offline rdr321

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 09:30:50 AM »
 Hello. I donated a year ago. In physicaly good shape. I went back to an office job in a month and a half. Not to much problem. But it took 4 months for me to stop feeling fatigued. A feeling when I would get tired . I would need to lay down, or become very grumpy. I do not know what will make the recovery faster. I know sometimes when people talk about thier donation. They are so happy to have helped someone that they don't remember how the recovery was. Myself included. I have been a electrician in the past and I would have been unable to do that type of work with less then 4 months of recovery. Too physical. My insision is just now starting to feel ok when being stretched. Aug 15 2011 was my donation date. I was also 43 when I had the surgery. If I had been in my 20s I think the recovery would have been half the time.

Offline Snoopy

• Top 10 Poster!
  • Non-directed donation, Oct., 2011
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 05:05:17 PM »
Hi, youkali7.
   Congratulations on the donation.  What you are experiencing is very common amongst donors.  Drinking and walking, and power naps, are indeed excellent ideas.
   On the other hand, for everyone out there planning to donate:  although many many donors  report fatigue, to be different  :) I'll report that I had very little, after the first  couple of weeks, when I resumed work.  Considering that I have a fairly demanding schedule, I was very fortunate not to need more sleep than the 5 hours a night I was typically getting once I resumed work. 
   However, I have a long public transit commute, and at first could not handle both my long workday (which often includes standing) and standing on a bus, particularly when bumpy stretches on the bus ride hurt my abdomen.  So, I took taxis to and from the office for my first six weeks back at work.  And, lifting even pitchers of water caused painful twinges for several months after donation.
             Be well, Snoopy

Offline youkali7

• Conversationalist
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 05:27:20 PM »
Thanks, everyone.
This is my first (& hopefully only) surgery. Your responses were a good reminder to be patient and keep taking good care of myself.
Considering that it is just shy of 2 months since the surgery I am probably right on track.
I appreciate the support.

Offline lawphi

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 09:09:14 PM »
You should estimate one month of recovery for every hour you are under anesthesia.

I found massage, stretching and walking helped with my energy levels. 
Bridge Paired Exchange donor on behalf of my husband (re-transplant) at Johns Hopkins.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional