| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: nerve pain from kidney donation  (Read 8522 times)

Offline rg1805

• Conversationalist
nerve pain from kidney donation
« on: July 24, 2012, 10:40:36 PM »
Hello, I am new to the site. I am 33 years old. July 5 I donated my left kidney to my brother. My incisions feel fine, but I have very uncomfortable nerve damage in my left thigh, runs from the hip down to the top of the knee, flaring up the most above the knee. Does anyone have feedback on this? What am I up against here? It feels like extreme sun burn. Clothes rubbing on the leg is very painful.

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: nerve pain from kidney donation
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 07:18:21 AM »

RG,

Some donors do complain of nerve damage after surgery. Hopefully, it will subside with time. Definitely call your surgeon and set up an appointment to have it checked out. One donor whose name sticks in my mind is Vicky Young. She also suffered from nerve damage and has written extensively about her experience as a living donor. Here is a link to an article that was posted on the news section of the forum and the part that talks about Vicky's nerve damage. She sometimes posts here on this forum so you can also contact her. Keep us posted on your progress.

Sherri

http://www.chicagotribune.com/health/ct-met-living-donor-risks-20110731,0,7795430.story

Vicky Young, who serves on the UNOS living donor committee, suffered nerve damage and was diagnosed with chronic kidney disease four years after she donated to a friend.

"That's when I started not to regret the donation but to feel disenfranchised," said Young, who lives in Arizona. "I felt I wasn't informed, that there was no literature out there, that there no long-term studies telling me what to expect."

Young wrote a doctoral dissertation about living donation, interviewing a dozen donors. All expressed concerns about their long-term health and said they wished they had received more information about the emotional, social and financial aspects of donating.
Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Offline Rinnierich

• Top 100 Poster!
  • I gave a doctor his life back.
Re: nerve pain from kidney donation
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 09:50:43 AM »
Rg,

I experienced the same thing that also radiated to my knee I could best describe it as the most intense pins and needles I have ever felt in my life. The feeling took about 3 months to pass for me personally and the area got smaller and smaller as the months go on. I just tried my best to work on stretching the area. Hopefully you are not a male because shaving your legs with this is a bitch!

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional