| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Cold All The Time Post Surgery and Hypothesis  (Read 10738 times)

Offline SWB

• Top 50 poster!
Cold All The Time Post Surgery and Hypothesis
« on: February 16, 2013, 06:53:54 PM »
rv1963 posted recently about staying cold all the time after surgery and I shared that I thought it was odd since I have been having the same symptoms.  Although we asked during the donation process about what happened with the adrenal glands (and were told that they were left in-tact).  I read later that if you donated a kidney the adrenal gland may die off due to blood supply getting removed (which I think depends more on which kidney due to the blood vessels running differently for right/left kidney but now I can't find the article).  In my instance I donated my right kidney but not sure it matters for my hypothesis that I am asking about...

After a MISERABLE day of freezing to death while helping with an estate/garage sale I found I couldn't stay warm or get warmed up when the rest of the folks I was with were ok.  The difference was so vast that I started doing some more internet research.  Shame on me - I did not realize that the adrenal glands play such a major role in regulating body temperature along with the thyroid.  And, it appears that if you have insufficient functioning of either then you may not be able to tolerate cold weather and/or warm up quickly. 

I am going in for a follow up appointment with my MD in a few weeks and will have him do some tests for thyroid and adrenal function. 

However, wondering if anyone can verify whether or not the blood supply to the adrenal glands get cut so the adrenal gland may die, my hypothesis that the cold temperature intolerance could be tied to the malfunction/absence of adrenal gland if this is the case, and wondering if anyone besides rv1963 and me have the intolerance to cold.  In my case, it is significant enough that others around me notice it constantly.

As noted, I am going to discuss with my MD and see what tests can be done.  And, I will post the results of whatever he does.

Thanks LDO community - and if I haven't said it enough - I can't express adequately in words how much I appreciate the input on here  ;D
Scott
Donated right kidney to uncle
October 18, 2012 at University of Alabama (UAB)

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Cold All The Time Post Surgery and Hypothesis
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 08:25:59 PM »
     Hi. I am not a medical professional, but from what I have read (if I understand it right) it is when the LEFT kidney is removed that the blood flow to or from the Left adrenal gland is effected. The blood vessel arrangement for the RIGHT kidney and adrenal gland are different, and it appears that the same thing does not happen when the right kidney is removed. However regardless of which kidney is removed there is also the POSSIBILITY that the adrenal gland may be accidentally damaged during the process.
     Someone has also suggested that feeling cold after the surgery may be an after-effect of the anesthesia, but I don't really know much about that.
      Hope some of this helps. We all just try to pass along whatever we have learned.
          best wishes,
             Fr. Pat

Offline jessicase

• Conversationalist
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 12:41:36 AM »
Wow. I'm really interested in learning more about this topic. I too am cold all the time and my husband and daughter always make comments about it. I donated a left kidney in 2000. I'm in graduate school now and have been learning about the adrenal gland and the neurobiology of the stress response and it dawned on me that I have no idea how my adrenal gland might have been affected. If you learn anything on this topic, I'd love to know more! Now I'm intrigued!

Offline SWB

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 12:05:40 PM »
Will let everyone know what I find out.  Having some tests run.  But mine was right kidney so intrigued sine I would understand more risk of adrenal issues if on left side due to way blood vessels run.  Will update as things reveal themselves.
Scott

Offline SWB

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 12:04:11 PM »
Sorry for the long delay in an update on this topic.  But, comedy of errors with the MD, lab doing the lab work, etc.

Long story short - lab results ruled out Thyroid issues.  And, I just got a call earlier this morning that the new lab work looking at adrenal problems, etc. all came back normal.

So, thought right now is that this situation is tied to the anesthesia and hopefully time will remediate the situation. 

If things change I will let you know.

-Scott
Scott

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved