| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Just Approved  (Read 5648 times)

Offline jmaese

• Conversationalist
Just Approved
« on: May 30, 2011, 10:06:58 PM »
Good Evening All -

I was just approved by my recipients hospital which is out of state.

Can anyone tell me or give me a rough guestimate on how long I will have to stay there before I am able to fly home?

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Just Approved
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 11:44:48 PM »
     Congratulations on your approval so far!
     The practice varies from one hospital to another, but I think most hospitals want you to stay near for a week or 10 days and then get a check-up. Even if the hospital does not require it, it can be a very wise choice to stay nearby anyway. Most donors recover fine, but SOME have had serious complications, sometimes only revealing themselves days after the surgery. IF you have any complications it can be better to go right back to the same hospital/doctors of the surgery rather than have to try to explain things to a different hospital back home.
   best wishes,
   Fr. Pat

Offline shelley

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 07:19:40 AM »
Jmaese, Congratulations on making it through the gauntlet!

My hospital, also out of state, has said I need to plan on 2 weeks.  This includes a few days in advance for final tests, 2-4 days in the hospital, and a week in a nearby hotel.  We're getting plane tickets for 2 weeks. 

Does anybody know, if you have to stay longer, will the airline work with you to reschedule your flight, if you tell them you're a kidney donor?  And is there an advantage to trying to get first class rather than coach on the way home?

Offline audrey12

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 09:58:35 AM »
I flew American Airlines and they upgraded me and my husband to first class for the ride home when I explained my situation.  They also put us in the first row.  I was able to stretch my legs all the way out and not even touch the wall, and I could stand up and stretch as much as I needed to.  My doctor had me take an aspirin the day before the flight and the day of.  My flight was about 4-1/2 hours.  I recommend you sign up for the frequent flyer program, whatever that entails, and then call the frequent flyer program number to talk to someone.

You may also check with friends and family and see if anyone has miles they can give to you, to use for an upgrade, then work with the airlines.

I flew home exactly two weeks post-op.  I've heard of donors flying home after a week and I may have been able to do that since I had no complications.  But I definitely felt better at two weeks.

Best of luck to both of you!
audrey

Offline lawphi

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 01:14:07 PM »
My center estimates that I won't feel up to flying for a week post surgery.  We are going to try to return five days after the surgery. 

There are grants available to cover the donor's travel and hospital stay, if your center participates through the program. 

US Air waived the fee to change my tickets due to kidney travel once.  There is some leeway should it be needed.  We were able to upgrade on my husband's flight post transplant, but we paid the $50 fee for two tickets. 

Bridge Paired Exchange donor on behalf of my husband (re-transplant) at Johns Hopkins.

Offline PhilHoover

• Top 25 Poster!
Congratulations!
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 07:32:16 AM »
You are doing a WONDERFUL THING!

Check with the airlines, and see what they can do for you.  The worst they can say is "no."

Most surgeons wants to see you around 10 days after the surgery. Depending on where you will be having the surgery, I may know some people or groups that can assist you.  The people in Birmingham, AL were absolutely MARVELOUS to me when I donated my left kidney 19 months ago.
Donated to a former college professor, October 28, 2009. Would do it again in a nanosecond.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional