| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Drinking Enough Water and Other Fluids?  (Read 4434 times)

Offline Michael

• Founder of LDO
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
    • Living Donors Online
Drinking Enough Water and Other Fluids?
« on: November 09, 2011, 12:08:55 PM »
An interesting article on the relationship between the amount of "fluids" one drinks and kidney health. I suppose that goes double for those of us with one kidney!

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/11/07/really-the-claim-drink-eight-glasses-of-water-a-day-to-protect-the-kidneys/?ref=health

Personally, I haven't paid a great deal of attention to the volume of water I drink daily. I've chosen to monitor my kidney health through annual GFR and creatinine analyses. But this article has me reconsidering my strategy of maintaining my sole kidney's health.
Michael
Living Donors Online
Our mission: to improve the living donation experience

Offline dodger

• Top 25 Poster!
Re: Drinking Enough Water and Other Fluids?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 09:21:59 PM »
I was always very lax on drinking any fluids most of my life.  I am hardly ever thirsty.  When I really am it is too late, I'm already dehydrated, parched, but I didn't know any better.

Since before donation the nephrologist told me I had to drink 2 liters of water a day, at least.  So, I now travel with a 2 quart jug of water to work, on the road, to my kids, where ever.  Mainly so I can keep track of how much I am drinking. Otherwise I loss track is this glass 6 or 7?  When the jug is empty, I did good.  Each and every day.

I also buy my water.  I get the big jugs full.  I can drink that much water much easier than tap water.  This works for me.   Janice
Donated 3/10/11 to my niece at UW Madison, Wi

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved