| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Hello I am in the testing process for kidney donation  (Read 5930 times)

Debra

Hello I am in the testing process for kidney donation
« on: August 22, 2011, 08:40:20 PM »
Just wanted to make a quick introduction.  My name is Debra and I have been running through tests to determine whether I can be a kidney donor for a 5 yr old boy I have met who has had no kidney function from birth.  He has been on dialysis for 5 yrs and it is starting to really take a toll on this little guy.  He is tired all the time and has rickets which is starting to affect how he walks.

I am very healthy and I work out 5-6 days a week so I have passed all the blood and urine tests with flying colors and then some.  I am 49 yrs old and happy I have such a healthy body and can possibly help this little boy.  My dad was told when I was younger that I had 3 kidneys.  Not sure yet if they are all functioning kidneys.  But we will soon see.  I just hope we don't find one that has split into two because then they will not use me as a donor.  Hopefully I have 3 good or 2 good kidneys.

I am now waiting for the HLA and crossmatch to be completed.  The coordinator told me 3-4 weeks so that puts it around September 6th to find out if I match.  If I don't then I am going to participate in a kidney pairing to get this little guy a kidney hopefully.

I just want to say that this website, all the information on it and the forum have been extremely helpful and informative.  It is wonderful to have a place to come to get information.  Information that is just not readily available out there.

As some of you have mentioned the coordinator is not very personable, informative or helpful.  But I am working with it and through it.

Thank you all for your input really it has been so comforting to hear your experiences.  It takes some of the guessing ...and fear out of the unknown.

Debra

Offline bergstromtori

• Top 50 poster!
Re: Hello I am in the testing process for kidney donation
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 08:43:30 PM »
Hope all goes well.  3-4 weeks for the HLA cross match?  Mine took about a week. 
The donation is being made because I wish that someone could have done something like this to save my moms life.  I am not going to let a disease take my friend from his three kids the way my mom was taken from me, my brother and sister.

Offline Snoopy

• Top 10 Poster!
  • Non-directed donation, Oct., 2011
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 01:31:40 AM »
Hi, Debra.
   Congratulations on your testing success.
   My cross-match took 48 hours.  I wonder why yours will take so long.
         Anyway, best of luck. Snoopy

Offline PhilHoover

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 07:03:15 AM »
I am still surprised (and disappointed) that so many people are reporting their "living donor coordinators" are not helpful...Mine was SUPREMELY helpful...I could have NEVER become a kidney donor without her...
Donated to a former college professor, October 28, 2009. Would do it again in a nanosecond.

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 11:56:51 AM »
Best of luck to you! That must be awful for such a young child to have to endure dialysis at that age!
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Offline Aries7

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 07:06:53 PM »
Hello Debra and welcome!

Best of luck to you - please do let us know when you find out the results of the crossmatch.

Linda
Linda
Donated left kidney to Husband
October 8, 2009 at UW Madison

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 09:12:48 PM »
     It seems that some hospitals deliberately slow down the process of communicating the test results, in order to give the potential donor plenty of time to think things over and perhaps back out. They want to be somewhat sure that the potential donor is not acting for a temporary burst of enthusiasm but is serious about the long haul.
    Fr. Pat

donorgirl

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 05:16:25 PM »
I also had an amazing coordinator.  Being a Type A and a bit of a hypochondriac (some would say that's an understatement.   :)  I inundated her with questions.  She never lost patience or made me feel like I was a nuisance.  I'm sorry you are not having that experience but I applaud your willingness to help this child.  I will pray for you both.

Lee (donated July 2007)

Offline PhilHoover

• Top 25 Poster!
From the first set of blood tests
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 05:01:39 AM »
to the actual surgery was SIX MONTHS TO THE DAY!   I thought it was an eternity...everyone here has made some good points....but be patient, learn as  much as you can, and then let the LORD help you with the process.
Donated to a former college professor, October 28, 2009. Would do it again in a nanosecond.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved