| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Questions  (Read 5641 times)

Offline emmett1171

• Conversationalist
Questions
« on: September 20, 2011, 03:58:58 PM »
Greetings,

I am just have a couple of questions about being a donor. My brother has just been put on the transplant list due to liver damage as a result of medication from his Crohns Disease. He's not a drinker except for a glass of champagne on his wedding day in 1993. He just turned 41 years old and is very sick. During an appointment with his transplant MD, the topic of Live Donation came up. Though I know it's not a definate that I would qualify, I do have the same blood type as him and would be completely willing to undergo this donation for him and his family.
My question is... I have asthma and take medication for it. I am about 25 lbs overweight. I do drink alcohol and I do smoke occationally. Does that automatically put me out of the running to donate or can I get everything together, physically, to be able to undergo this process? I am willing to lose the weight and quit drinking and smoking all together but figures it would take me at least 3 months of dedication.
Thank you for your input,
Jodi

Offline Michael

• Founder of LDO
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
    • Living Donors Online
Re: Questions
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 09:01:44 AM »
Jodi, every transplant center has their own rules, so it's hard to say for certain if you would be rejected as a donor. The weight, smoking, and drinking issues can be addressed. The asthma could be a show stopper depending on how bad it is. Talk with your brother's transplant doctor.

Let us know what happens. Best of luck!
Michael
Living Donors Online
Our mission: to improve the living donation experience

Offline smudge

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 05:16:54 PM »
Hi

I have asthma and take medication for it and was fine to donate.  I'm not overweight though and I suspect that, along with the smoking, may make more of a difference.  I know the testing process is different in the US to the UK but I had to do a treadmill test to check my fitness as part of the work up.

Losing weight and quitting smoking will improve your general health and probably your asthmas too regardless of whether you donate.

Good luck
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 05:22:27 PM by smudge »

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 07:37:14 PM »
I had (have) asthma and was allowed to donate from the kidney standpoint. Mine was not acute, and I was not on any kind of regular medicine. I will tell you that if you do get to the point of donation, make sure they are prepared post surgery with either a breathing treatment or inhaler. My asthma rarely bothers me, but the breathing tube and the air irritated my lungs and caused the asthma to flare up. I hadn't even thought to bring my inhaler to the hospital with me. And it took forever for them to order and bring up an inhaler from the pharmacy.  Either way it goes, Jodi, I hope you will commit yourself to the path of healthy living.
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Offline Snoopy

• Top 10 Poster!
  • Non-directed donation, Oct., 2011
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 07:17:15 AM »
Wow, Orchidlady, thanks for the heads-up about the inhalator.  I also have mild asthma, and though I don't need daily meds, I do keep an inhalator in my pocket just in case. I'm not sure I would have remembered to pack it for the hospital, though.  Be well, Snoopy

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional