| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: New Member - Going through Donor Eval Now  (Read 4356 times)

Offline danwilli

• Conversationalist
New Member - Going through Donor Eval Now
« on: August 21, 2012, 11:17:39 AM »
Hello everyone.  My name is Danny and I'm currently going through the evaluation process as a potential liver done for my wife's aunt. 

What has been people's experience on when the surgery is scheduled.  I've done all of the blood work, MRI, and chest X-Ray and am having the EKG and meeting the transplant team tomorrow.  How soon after the evaluation process is complete until the surgery happens?

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: New Member - Going through Donor Eval Now
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 07:23:20 AM »
Dear Danny,

You have made a kind and brave offering!

I was a kidney donor, and my surgery was done less than three weeks after the final tests.  I understand this was much faster than average, because we were able to avoid starting dialysis on my recipient. 

I think you'll also have to meet with a psycholgist.  Then wait until the next time the transplant team meets to approve donors who have completed their evaluations.  Then wait until both surgeons can be scheduled etc.  There may more for liver donors I wouldn't know about.

Best to you.  Love, elephant

Offline emmett1171

• Conversationalist
Re: New Member - Going through Donor Eval Now
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 07:32:27 PM »
Hi Danny!

I donated my liver 6 weeks ago to my brother. I live in Seattle and he is from the Boston area. I flew to Boston mid-May for the evaluation. My coordinator was nice enough to squish it all in at once because I lived so far away but it was an extremely busy week at the hospital! We planned on scheduling the surgery at the end of June but due to complications with my brother's unstable health, it was not ideal. It was the 2nd week in July, on that Friday, that I received the shocking news that we may have to put off the surgery until next summer and that I would have to go through the evaluation process all over again. I was heartbroken. Five days later... they cleared my brother and surgery was scheduled for July 30th! I immediately booked a flight to Boston for pre-ops, it was THAT fast! Danny, I am utterly amazed at how easy the whole process was for me... for months prior to the evaluation, I did my research, I started eating better, quit drinking, lost a little weight. I did a lot of mental and physical preparation but the best advice that I can give to you is to stay positive during the process… I, honestly, think that is why I did so well. My surgeons were calling me “super girl” and my coordinator was calling me “a show off”. I know that every person’s experience and recovery is different so please don’t go into this thinking it’s a walk in the park, just go into it with a positive attitude. And the best, and most important, part of this whole journey is that my brother is doing fantastic! He had some complications that were not expected and he started getting down and feeling sorry for himself because he was in the hospital for 3 weeks. After I gave him the no holds barred pep talk, he was out of the hospital within 2 days and continues to flourish with his recovery at home. Never, ever underestimate the power of your mind… positive thinking is essential to a quick recovery!
I wish you and your recipient much love and many prayers for a quick recovery! It is a wonderful thing that you’re doing… good luck Danny, I’d love to hear how things go for you!

Emme

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional