| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Pregnant and want to donate  (Read 4913 times)

Monigiguere1

Pregnant and want to donate
« on: January 13, 2012, 02:40:26 PM »
My mom is in need of a kidney. I am 6 months pregnant and around the time I am suppose to deliver she  will be off of dialysis and able to receive a kidney. How long after I deliver will I be able to donate?

Offline Karol

• Advocate for patients and organ donors
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Jenna after a day at Disneyland
    • Kidney For Jenna
Re: Pregnant and want to donate
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 03:58:22 PM »
Perhaps others can answer about the donation and pregnancy issue, but I wanted to say that your mom's dialysis is doing what her kidneys could no longer do. She can remain on it indefinitely until you've gotten through the evaluation process. I know many people who have been on dialysis for years, so if she's doing ok I would give yourself some time to recover and prepare for being a donor. Good luck!
Daughter Jenna is 31 years old and was on dialysis.
7/17 She received a kidney from a living donor.
Please email us: kidney4jenna@gmail.com
Facebook for Jenna: https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
~ We are forever grateful to her 1st donor Patrice, who gave her 7 years of health and freedom

Offline smudge

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 07:28:02 AM »
I think you will find that the docs will not be prepared to start testing you until you have had your baby.  Assuming all goes well and you are a match the testing process usually takes 5-6 months from first blood test to transplant date.

All the best

Offline MissFrizz

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 07:34:33 AM »
It's wonderful that you want to do this.  Consider that you won't be able to breastfeed and that you will need help caring for your baby during your recovery.   

Good luck.
Stephanie

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." - John Wayne

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 08:21:45 PM »
     Make sure also that all the other family members, as well as your mom's friends, co-workers, church/synagogue members, club members, neighbors, alumni, etc. are awre of her need and of the possibility of living donation. There may be other willing and able donors who are in better condition to donate at the present time but are not even aware of the need or the possibility.
   best wishes,
       fr. Pat

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved