| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: in the testing phase for living kidney donation  (Read 5617 times)

ejonshult

in the testing phase for living kidney donation
« on: January 16, 2012, 03:22:22 PM »
Hi everyone,
I'be been lurking on the forum for a while.  Well actually since November of 2011 when I found out that I might be the donor for my friend who has failing kidneys.

I did the initial cross test matching and I was a match.  Now, I have started the medical evaluation
  I'm half way done with testing and if all goes well we're hoping for an April operation.

I'm mentally and physically OK right now but I'm afraid of getting scared as it is getting closer to the operation.

When people ask me why I'm doing this I just tell them it's the right thing to do.  Because it is and
 I'm blessed with being relatively healthy.  (Hypothyroid and previous depression).

I'll keep you updated on the progress.....

Eva

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: in the testing phase for living kidney donation
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 06:39:30 PM »
Dear Eva,
     As far as being "...afraid of getting scared" as the surgery date approaches, I think myself that anyone who is NOT at least a little scared probably does not understand what is happening. Kidney donation is relatively safe, but it IS major surgery, and there ARE risks. Some donors go through with it feeling little or no fear, but most I have read of certainly said that they felt fear, and some have shared their experience of becoming nervous wrecks in the days leading up to surgery. Everyone is different. Wanting whole-heartedly to donate, and at the same time feeling scared, are not mutually exclusive.
     Please let us know how things go.
           best wishes,
               Fr. Pat           

Offline dodger

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 08:06:55 PM »
Glad to have you here.

If you have dealt with depression in the past beware, it is not uncommon for depression to be a temporary or a permanent condition after donation.  I hope the evaluation team has informed you of this fact.  You just need to be aware of this fact before donating.  I does change the body chemistry somewhat.

How will that affect your thyroid condition?  That is part of your endocrine system as well.

The donation team cannot ethically put someone in harms way with certain pre-existing conditions or without at least informing them.  How ever, it might be a good idea to seek the advise of a neuphologist no connected to the hospital as all to get an unbiased opinion. 

We are here to inform, what you do with the information is your decision.  But make sure it is the right one for you as you will have live with that decision the rest of your life. 
Donated 3/10/11 to my niece at UW Madison, Wi

Offline That guy

• Top 200 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 08:40:28 PM »

I'm mentally and physically OK right now but I'm afraid of getting scared as it is getting closer to the operation.

The worst part of surgery is thinking about it before hand.  It's not too bad.  I honestly think the worst part of it was doing the bowel prep.  You're doing something great for someone, and the odds are significantly in your favor. 

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved