| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: He said yes.  (Read 5540 times)

Offline MissFrizz

• Top 25 Poster!
He said yes.
« on: January 02, 2012, 10:38:03 AM »
I had a great conversation with my dad and his wife yesterday.  I told him I was a match and that I wanted to donate my kidney when he was ready for it.  He had a lot of questions and we talked for about it for a while.  I know it's a tough decision for him.  He called me this morning to say he thought about it all night and that yes as long as I'm sure, he's going to accept. 

I know we both have testing to follow through with now, but I am looking forward to getting it behind us.

Any advice from the veterans here would be greatly appreciated.

Also, someone had once mentioned that there was a booklet available to help young children understand what is going on.  Does anyone have the name of that book, or know where to get it?  Thanks.
Stephanie

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." - John Wayne

Offline jatopa

• Top 25 Poster!
Re: He said yes.
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 10:52:06 AM »
Best of luck to you and your father. 

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 10:59:58 AM »
Comgratulations, you sound excited to be moving forward.

University of Maryland Transplant Center has a booklet for children explaining kidney donation. The number on the back of the booklet is 1-800-492-5538. It is written by a social worker named Ivy Sheffler-oidick, LCSW-C and illustrated by Baltimore City Public School children. I have one lying around at home if you want it. Email me and I can send it to you,or try calling the number and see if they will send it to you. Just googled and found this link http://www.umm.edu/connections/issue1.html. Hope this helps.

Keep reading, stay informed and get educated about donation surgery, the risks the benefits how it will effect your future health etc, any familial diseases to be concerned about etc.

Happy and healthy New Year to you and your family.

Sherri
Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Offline Aries7

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 01:27:07 AM »
Congratulations and best wishes to both you and your Dad.

As far as advice, read about and learn as much as you can about living kidney donation. Don't be afraid to ask questions - lots and lots of questions, whether it is here on the board, at your transpant center or your own personal doctor.

Please do keep us updated.

Happy New Year!

Linda
Linda
Donated left kidney to Husband
October 8, 2009 at UW Madison

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 12:27:39 AM »
Dear "MissFrizz",
     Some patients have expressed their feeling that just the fact that someone cared enough to even offer to be tested for a transplant to them meant a great deal to them, even if for some medical reason the transplant did not take place. Best wishes for your further teating, but I think that you have already helped him a lot just by offering. He must feel very proud of you.
      Fr. Pat

Offline MissFrizz

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 08:52:13 AM »
Thank you, everyone.  Two important things happened during that conversation. 

1.  I found myself genuinely wanting him to accept, while I had been lukewarm through the matching process, I have not doubt about my true feelings now. 

2.  His acceptance is a statement to the graveness of this illness.  He is obviously and miserably out of options. 

I am glad I could be a ray of light.  And I do hope I can follow through.  If you are a praying person, please pray for our success.
Stephanie

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." - John Wayne

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional