| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Little tip for you all - headache relief  (Read 6811 times)

Offline leah.faith

• Top 100 Poster!
Little tip for you all - headache relief
« on: February 07, 2013, 09:23:10 AM »
Well, I just donated a kidney, about 2 months ago. One problem that I had before the donation and have since is chronic headaches. I used to take ibuprofen like they were vitamins before and, well, that had to stop. A few years ago I remember reading a study that concluded that eating 21 tart cherries was as effective as OTC NSAIDS for pain relief so I started there with researching alternatives to pain medication. I learned that many people use concentrated tart cherry juice for a whole host of pain related issues and has been scientifically proven to decrease or prevent inflammation. Neat.

So I went out and bought a bottle. I tried in the weeks after the surgery hoping it would help wean me off the pain pills (they were giving me the stuff heroin addicts steal) and I can't really say if it helped. I don't think it's that good. But I am happy to report that now that I'm recovered and not taking those crazy-get-me-stoned pills, concentrated cherry juice has been as good, if not better at relieving my normal, run-of-the-mill headaches.

Now, there could be some other mitigating factors as to why it's helping; I have quit drinking as much so I don't get as many headaches, so the head aches I am getting might not be as bad. It could be a placebo effect? I don't know.

I couldn't find any information on if cherrie juice was bad for your kidneys, I did find evidence that they are actually helpful in preventing kidney stones. And cherries are not on my list of "try not to eat so much of that."

The one down side is that it is expensive ($10 a bottle) and will stain your very nice and very expensive cream colored Lucky Brand hoodie that your husband bought you last year for Christmas.

Ok, just a little help-ful hint.

Have a nice day.

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Little tip for you all - headache relief
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 07:49:41 AM »
So interesting that you posted this, Leah!

My husband and I have oatmeal every morning for breakfast, and hubby puts dried cherries on his. He will also have a snack of dried cherries at some point during the day. On his recent blood work, one of his numbers was high as a marker for potential gout (a side effect of the medication) - yet he has no symptoms. They say tart cherries have anti-inflammatory properties and are a remedy for gout. The only thing we can think of is that his daily cherries are helping keep the gout at bay.
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Offline jstx

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 08:26:56 PM »
Dried cherries like tart dried cherries or craisins? That might be a dumb question but I've eaten both. I'll gladly buy a bag to try when a headache comes on or I get cramps!  ;D Can't hurt & they taste good too. Worst case scenario I still have to take a couple Tylenol! Thanks for the tip.
Donated left kidney on 6/6/11 to a recipient I found on LDO
Johns Hopkins Hospital
Baltimore, MD

Offline Dora76

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 12:55:42 PM »
leah.faith, that is so interesting what you've shared!  Can you give a little more information about what form of tart cherry juice you've been using? I've never seen that in the store, and I wouldn't know where to look--tart cherries make me think of pies, if that gives you any idea of what my frame of reference for cherries is at the moment haha. 

I occasionally get headaches too, along with very bad cramping.  Tylenol is ineffective on me, so I do on occasion take ibuprofen, even though it's to be avoided. But I discussed it with my nephrologist and she said it was ok as long as I didn't take it more than necessary.  She also recommended when I do take ibuprofen to drink a lot of water to help my system process it.  But definitely, if the tart cherry juice has worked for you, I'm definitely game to try it.

Thanks again for sharing!
~Living kidney donor to my mother, November 2010~

Offline leah.faith

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 11:15:09 AM »
@jstx
The dried cherries would have to be of the tart variety. I'm not sure what brand but they would specifically say "Tart Cherries" on the bag.

@Dora,
I specifically use tart cherry concentrate. I have to buy it at a specialty super market because they don't sell it at Ferndale Foods or Meijers or any of my local chain. I think tart cherry juice would work just as well but it would come with added sugar and you'd have to drink a full class of it where as I only need to take a small shot of the concentrate.

It really does seem to work for me. I used it again last weekend for a headache and soar muscles. Seems to work really well.

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 12:20:09 PM »
We get the tart dried cherries - hubby likes the taste of the Sunmaid brand, but there are a number of other brands out there. We did just see the concentrate recently in the produce section of our local supermarket. Hadn't been there before. We will have to try that too, Leah!
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Offline Dora76

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 02:18:04 PM »
@Leah, Thanks!  I will try it. I'm sure if I can't find it in-store, I could find it online.
~Living kidney donor to my mother, November 2010~

Offline Oldnslow

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 12:49:49 AM »
Not being able to use ibuprofen and other nonsteroidals is one of the challenges.   I've been eating 'drunk raisins' for about a year to help combat arthritis pain.   It does not knock it out but seems to help abate the worsening of it and helps somewhat.    I have grown partial to gin soaked raisins though.

Oldnslow
Oldnslow

"Donated kidney to my brother on Dec 8, 2008"

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional