| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Is this weird to feel like your kidney is no longer yours ?  (Read 6829 times)

Offline GuitarGirl4Gsus

• Top 100 Poster!
Is this weird to feel like your kidney is no longer yours ?
« on: February 25, 2013, 09:27:35 PM »
I wanted to see if anyone else has felt this way. I'm giving my kidney to a friend April 11th. Lately Im thinking twice before I fly down teh road on my quadline skates, or if I feel pains. Worrying I could get something that would ruin everything. I see my receipiant who now has no kidneys fighting fluid issues. He's been without them sinse Jan11. They had a combined weight of 25lbs. It reminds me of when I was pregnant and I was aware of a seperate life in me. For some reason its been really strong lately. It feels like its already his and Im protecting it like I protected my babies when I carried them. Just as I was excited about birth to not only have my babies, but to have my body back. I feel teh same way now. I'm looking forward to our transplant so he can have life again. We've been calling it "teh Super Bowl" :)

Offline Mizchelle

• Top 50 poster!
Re: Is this weird to feel like your kidney is no longer yours ?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 10:03:32 AM »
I've experienced this.  I think its healthy actually.  I've even found myself putting my hands in the area of the donating kidney almost consoling it :)

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 12:54:27 PM »
Don't think it is weird at all! I feel the same way "on the other side". Hubby has really stepped up and takes very, very good care of his kidney health and overall health. Every so often he comments on "your kidney". I always tell him it's not mine anymore, it's his - it has taken up residence in its new home and settled right in!
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Offline GuitarGirl4Gsus

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 02:02:48 PM »
I run a daycare in my home.My receipiant is one of my daycare parents and church family member. He's also serves on our lock rescue squad. Even though I'm a hyper tomboy type, we've been teasing him saying he will now have girl parts :) 

I'll be glad we "his" kidney is in his body so I can have my body back :) such cool news about your husband. My only hold back on being my friends donor was that my husband was born with only one kidney. He's also teh same blood type. My husband encouraged me because he said he'd never need it. Then my daughters chimed in and said they'd make sure thier step dad had one should he ever need one. I've seen how people with one kidney live, absolutely fine. Plus one of my daycare parents years ago gave her kidney to her father. So I also had some donor experience, kind of :) I am ready to get kick off our "super bowl" game. Cool thing is that we both win. Apr 11th will be here soon. Love teh replies

Offline mkew

• Top 200 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 04:45:33 PM »
I am at least three weeks away from surgery (still awaiting a surgery date! Oy!) and I am trying to take good care of this kidney, drinking a lot and eating well. It will be good for my overall health, but I also want this person to have a sparkling clean, well-scrubbed kidney!

My husband feels that with my kidney in them, the recipient will be our zombie slave. I tell him, good luck with that.........................  ;D

Offline PastorJeff

• Top 25 Poster!
  • Donated non-directed on September 5, 2012 at UCSF
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 09:46:22 PM »
Sometime I wake up in the morning and wonder if they really took my kidney.  I never saw it leave--not that I would want to.  But then I think of my recipient.  I don't think he got someone else's.  It funny what you think of before/after this kind of thing. 

Offline mintx

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 10:10:18 PM »
oops wrong thread. 
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 10:12:59 PM by mintx »

Offline GuitarGirl4Gsus

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 11:49:03 PM »
Mkew..I hope you can post about you experience before apr 11 so I can read it :) I can't wait until Im posting in past tense. I sooo hope Im posting that I was up and playing guitar in no time. Like surgery Thursday, playing guitar at church wed. On a chair of course. My Les Paul is heavy :) I've learned from being on this forum these is a small chance of such an outcome, but there's other psooiblities as well.

Offline WilliamLFreeman

• Top 25 Poster!
  • Blood is your renewable resource-please donate it!
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2013, 03:59:12 PM »
As with others who posted, I too felt the same. I was a non-directed donor, thus did not know who would receive it. Even before I passed the last 2 tests to determine if I and my kidneys were healthy enough to be a donor (and also find out which kidney they would transplant), I felt I was the protector and guardian of a kidney that was no longer mine; rather, that kidney belonged to the unknown recipient-to-be.  Thus when I had the CT scan with dye, I drank twice as much water as the radiology service recommended, to make sure the dye did not damage the recipient's kidney within me.  Weird and "unscientific" for a physician to feel that?  Of course.   ;)  Natural?  Absolutely of course.  ;D
Bill - living kidney donor (non-directed, Seattle, Nov 24, 2008), & an [aging] physician  :-)

Offline Oldnslow

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2013, 07:40:09 PM »
I guess I never felt like it was not part of me.  But after I felt like my brother and I were more connected.     Plus with me an Ohio State alumni and he an MSU alumni, he now roots for both.  His wife made us PJ's that were half green bad white and half scarlet and gray

Oldnslow
Oldnslow

"Donated kidney to my brother on Dec 8, 2008"

Offline GuitarGirl4Gsus

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2013, 11:22:25 PM »
That's a really neat storey about your brother. I'm good friends with my recipient and his wife and especially close to his daughter. I was reading a funny post on FB about teh family out to eat. Thier daughter trying frog legs for teh first time. It just confirms where teh Lord has me right now. There needs to be many more posts from her daddy about his time with his little girl. This princess is 12 yrs old. I see a future teacher in her. I know her world would crumble without her daddy. I'm blessed to be used to protect this awesome family.

Offline CK

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 05:10:18 PM »
We accidentally named my kidney-when I was loopy after the surgery I was texting my sister to tell her the surgeon said I gave him a "petite kidney" but kidney autocorrected to "Janet", so we named it Janet.  :D She is still called that today by everyone in my family and by my boyfriend/recipient. I don't think of it as mine and I don't really think of it as gone, even...it seems so long ago and except for the scar, I'm back to normal!

Offline GuitarGirl4Gsus

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2013, 10:47:37 AM »
Wow..that's awesome CK...my receipiant hasn't named his yet :) I'll be sure to post when he does. Getting close, Apr11th.  My pre op is 26th.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional