| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Being a bone marrow donor too..  (Read 4393 times)

Offline mom2three

• Top 100 Poster!
Being a bone marrow donor too..
« on: October 24, 2011, 09:24:44 PM »
After being on the national bone marrow registry for 20 years I got my first contact from them as being a possible match. How exciting! I know this is just the very preliminary stage and all I did was complete a questionnaire that said I was still eligible, but it's exciting to think it migth come to fruition!  Have any of you given bone marrow after your kidney surgery?
Donated to cousin on 6/29/2010 at Cleveland Clinic

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Being a bone marrow donor too..
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 09:33:07 PM »
My husband just donated bone marrow (not after kidney donation). He donated stem cells which were removed through apheresis. Part of this process includes taking a medication by injection called filgrastim. This medication increases the number of cells in the bone marrow. One of the side effects is bone pain which can be relieved with anti inflammatories like NSAIDS. You would need to find out how filgrastim effects your kidneys and if it is safe for someone with one kidney and also what types of medications you can use for pain relief given that we donors cannot use high doses of non steroidal anti inflammatories. My husband was pretty surprised by the discomfort from the medication and also having to lie still for so long while they removed the blood. Every time he moved it caused the IV line to be blocked and the machine would beep. He had to be still in a bed from about 9 in the morning to about 4 in the afternoon. He said he would have definitely taken Ativan or something had he known it would be so uncomfortable.

Let us know what your nephrologist says about bone marrow donation after kidney donation and if there are any increased risks or contraindications.

Sherri
Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Offline Scott337

• Top 25 Poster!
  • You may never know the burdens others carry
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 10:28:10 PM »
I donated a kidney one year ago on October 22.  I and my wife both just registered with the National Bone Marrow Registry.  I would be interested in hearing more about the process for you from this point forward if you're willing to share.  Best of luck - we are both excited for you!

Scott    8)
Scott

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 11:52:04 AM »
Best wishes!  I was a preliminary marrow match a year or so after donating my kidney after ~25 years on the marrow registry.  I wasn't a full match, or there was a better one, or the patient no longer needed treatment, which was surprisingly disappointing and remains mysterious.  They are still very rigorous about anonymity for marrow donors and recipients, including potential recipient condition. 

There was significant correspondence between several of us here and the senior management of the NMDP several years ago when they summarily excluded living kidney donors as marrow donor candidates.  This policy change was eventually reversed, based on the lack of any nephrotoxicity identified for filgrastim.  Rob and I met the NMDP Medical Director at a forum in Boston, and he was noncommittal about the issue.

Definitely keep your primary care physician informed, and consider letting your transplant center know.  There may be new data on this, though I haven't come across anything in the peer reviewed literature.  Do let us know what you learn and experience along the way!
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved