| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Open letter to Brian Shepard, CEO of UNOS  (Read 3700 times)

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
Open letter to Brian Shepard, CEO of UNOS
« on: June 19, 2015, 03:30:28 PM »
Dear Brian,

It's been a while since my term on the OPTN and UNOS boards ended, though I did see you at a Region 1 meeting not too long ago. I hope you're settling in well in your not so new role at UNOS.

I feel moved to write to you today as I just got the notice about the new UNOS website and took a look. It's beautiful, and the tabs are intuitive. Well done. How jarring it was, though, to see an historically offensive misuse of the word "altruistic" so prominent on the living donation page. All donors are altruistic. Donors may be related, unrelated, directed, non-directed, or part of a paired exchange or longer exchange chain. We donors are all altruistic.

The members of the board and senior UNOS management had clearly understood this while I was still on the board. It seems to have been forgotten by at least one writer and one reviewer before the rewrite of the web site went live. This is not trivial, it's very important to many donors. Please address it, soon. Thank you.-John

cc: https://livingdonorsonline.org
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 08:07:28 AM by Clark »
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved