| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: drinking alcohol  (Read 5206 times)

Offline pilotjjc3

• Top 50 poster!
drinking alcohol
« on: October 31, 2011, 10:48:34 AM »
After I donated, I remember the doctor said I could drink alcohol, but not to drink excessively.  I never asked him to quantify what that would mean.  It's not like I'm drinking like a college frat brother, but I'm wondering if a drink or two with dinner or during a football game is OK.  Did anyone else get an number of drinks per day or per week that we shouldn't go over?

Offline audrey12

• Top 50 poster!
Re: drinking alcohol
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 11:05:14 AM »
I've always been one glass of wine or maybe two once in a great while.  My doctors did not warn me about alcohol.  Too much water, yes, but not alcohol.  I think you're consumption is very moderate and nothing to be concerned about re: your kidney.
audrey

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 02:19:49 PM »
I was not much of a drinker to begin with, but find the alcohol, for some reason affects me more. I limit it to one or two drinks on an infrequent basis. I think I, personally, am more concerned about the potential dehydration effects than anything.
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Offline Scott337

• Top 25 Poster!
  • You may never know the burdens others carry
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 09:28:21 PM »
I like to have a couple of beers from time to time.  My physician/surgeon never mentioned anything.  Moderation is the key I think.

Scott    8)
Scott

Offline ohtobeahayes

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 02:37:34 PM »
I never heard a thing about it either, but as others have mentioned, I have definitely noticed that after a glass of wine I feel the effects WAY faster than I did before. I'm a lightweight to begin with. :)
Be the change!
Nicki

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional