| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Surgery This Friday! Pre-Surgery Prep?  (Read 4822 times)

Offline kayla1578

• Top 100 Poster!
Surgery This Friday! Pre-Surgery Prep?
« on: November 14, 2011, 10:58:31 AM »
So, I've finally arrived to surgery week!  Wow, it felt like it would never get here!  Now I'm scrambling to get everything done, lol.  A questions for all you old pros... Do you have any last minute advice for prepping before surgery?  I know I've seen some old posts where people suggested limiting food intake, etc.  Does anyone have anything that they think helped (or would have helped)?

Thanks all!
Amanda

Offline Barbara S

• Top 50 poster!
Re: Surgery This Friday! Pre-Surgery Prep?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 07:38:08 PM »
Good Luck Amanda!
The week before my surgery, I was very careful to make sure I didnt get a cold - my biggest fear!  Make sure you have yourself all set for life post surgery - lots of loose fitting comfortable clothes.  I had no restrictions as far a pre-surgery prep.  The waiting is really the hardest part!
Proud Kidney Donor to Brother
December 9, 2003
at Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital

Offline Jewels

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 08:05:25 PM »
Hi Amanda!
I think the anticipation is hardest part, but you will soon see how fast this week will go.  I made sure I was ahead of the game as far as paying bills and any paperwork.  I knew I wouldn't feel like doing anything like that for a bit post-surgery.  Try to do some nice things for you...yoga, a pedicure, massage.  Anything to stay relaxed.  I ate lightly starting a few days prior and then my surgeon had me do liquid diet and bowel prep the day before.  If you are not instructed to do any kind of fast or prep you might want to eat light that day before as it may be awhile before your digestive system is up and working again after surgery.  I also made a list of everything I wanted to pack in my hospital bag to make sure I had everything.  There are some posts from earlier this summer about what people suggested to bring along.  Just holler if you can't find it or have more questions...this board is a bounty of information!

Good Luck and congratulations in advance on a successful surgery!
Julie
Living Kidney Donor, to my adopted sister
July 15, 2011

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 12:36:51 AM »
     There are differences from one hospital/doctor to another as to pre-donation food and liquid intake, bowel cleansing, etc. so be sure you get clear instructions from your hospital and follow them carefully.
     Don't forget to include loose-fitting shoes and underwear for your return trip from the hospital, as post-op bloating can make your regular things quite uncomfortable (or unusable) for a while.
     Some donors have requested the support of prayers from a place of worship and/or friends and have felt strenghthened in knowing of the prayers and positive thoughts going their way.
     Select some music that you find helps relax and encourage you, and bring along a small (cheap) battery-operated CD player. (A recorder can be helpful as well to save your thoughts and feelings while you may not feel up to writing a journal.)
            best wishes,
                 Fr. Pat

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved