| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Please Help  (Read 2857 times)

Alishia

Please Help
« on: April 26, 2011, 12:41:12 PM »
I have kidney surgery on May 4th. I was just notified last week that the date was ready & set. I am looking for any benefit fundraiser, government grant etc. I currently live approximately 700 miles away from where the kidney surgery is going to take place. I am trying to find anyone that helps with travel expenses. Any information is greatly appreciated! :)

Offline Prelude_Sarah

• Top 50 poster!
Re: Please Help
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 12:47:10 PM »
Hey Alishia!  I'm sorry to say that I don't know of any government grants for living kidney donors, but some of the lovely people on this site might - I would also be interested, as I am also in need of assistance. 
But, I wanted to say that I also will be donating my kidney on May 4th!!  A good day for donating kidneys I suppose :)
I will keep you in my thoughts my dear, and please know that you are not alone.

Sarah
Donated left kidney to younger sister on May 10th, 2011

Offline Prelude_Sarah

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 01:07:16 PM »
Here's a link I just found actually!

http://www.livingdonorassistance.org/

Sarah
Donated left kidney to younger sister on May 10th, 2011

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 02:37:15 PM »
Also check with Transplant Recipients International - www.trioweb.org. They have a program that collects frequent flier miles and allows both donors and recipients to use them at no cost to travel to and from surgery.
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 07:45:25 PM »
     Just to add that the "livingdonorassistance" program of the government will only help with the donor's expenses if the recipient is below a certain income level. Perhaps the transplant coordinator or social worker at the recipient's hospital would help you with the paper-work involved? Also ask them if they know of local places that offer reduced-rate (or free) lodging to living donors who come for surgery.
     It is quite legal in the U.S. for the recipient and/or donor to hold fundraising drives or activities to cover the travel/lodging costs of the donor and any lost wages, as long as the donor does not make any financial profit (but just "breaks even"). If more money is raised than is needed, it can be donated elsewhere. But some donors have been unpleasantly surprised to find that they were out of work in recovery longer than expected and ran into real problems due to lost wages. So any donations raised should be kept handy until it is sure that all expenses have been covered.
     SOME States with State Income Tax give a certain amount of tax write-off to living donors, so check the State where you live.
     I THINK that www.transplants.org might have some fund-raising information, but I'm not sure.
         best wishes,
            Fr. Pat

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved