| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: abnormal paps and hpv  (Read 9506 times)

Offline lisamgoldberg

• Top 100 Poster!
abnormal paps and hpv
« on: November 25, 2011, 04:12:12 PM »
Do you know if it is a problem to donate a kidney if I have had or currently have hpv and have had abnormal paps in the past?
Let me know Girls or Guys if you know the answer.
thanks,
Lisa

Offline ohtobeahayes

• Top 25 Poster!
Re: abnormal paps and hpv
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 07:32:17 PM »
I don't think it's a problem. I've had abnormal paps in the past and I'm not sure that even came up.
Be the change!
Nicki

Offline Barbara S

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 07:43:02 PM »
I dont believe HPV is a blood born virus - which is why people with positive HPV tests can still donate blood.
Proud Kidney Donor to Brother
December 9, 2003
at Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 01:39:18 PM »
The nurse coordinator should go over your medical history with you and they should also get copies from your family physician. In terms of the HPV you can ask about increased risks for cancers such as cervical cancer and how one kidney status may effect treatments if you should need that. Sometimes donors who have a family history for some diseases like certain cancers or diabetes, inherited kidney disease etc. need to have more information in order to make an informed decision.

Good luck and hope your testing goes well.

Sherri
Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Offline WilliamLFreeman

• Top 25 Poster!
  • Blood is your renewable resource-please donate it!
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 05:17:00 PM »
Lisa,

In addition to what Sherri wrote, yearly paps -- well taken and processed, plus appropriate followup -- is by far the best prevention of developing anything more serious than CIN (Cervical Intraepithelial Neoplasia), the treatment of which is just superficial.  (Paps should be yearly for women who have had an abnormal pap in the past.)

But, you probably know all this already.   :)

Bill
Bill - living kidney donor (non-directed, Seattle, Nov 24, 2008), & an [aging] physician  :-)

Offline lisamgoldberg

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 09:06:55 PM »
Thanks everyone, my docs are reviewing all my past info, I believe it is good. Yes, Bill I go yearly for my annual check up.

Thanks,
Lisa

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional