| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Nelson kidney donor did not let fear stop her  (Read 2733 times)

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
Nelson kidney donor did not let fear stop her
« on: December 04, 2011, 08:19:44 PM »
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/6081341/Nelson-kidney-donor-did-not-let-fear-stop-her

Nelson kidney donor did not let fear stop her
SARAH YOUNG

Altruistic organ donors are a rarity in New Zealand but a Nelson woman who donated her kidney to a stranger is hoping her experience will help others see anybody can do it.

Nelson barista Dana Morgan was operated on in Wellington on Monday to donate her kidney to an unknown recipient, in what is known as an "altruistic donation".

Ms Morgan's journey began last August, after she met a woman on dialysis waiting for a new kidney.

"I didn't know anything about dialysis, kidney failure or organ transplants. I'd heard about Jonah Lomu and that was about it.

"I listened to all these things the woman had done in her life, and she still wanted to do more.

"My heart just went out to her, and I said 'are you telling me you need a kidney?' "

After the woman explained anybody could donate a kidney, Ms Morgan went to her GP saying she wanted to donate her kidney.
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional