| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: After effects of donating a kidney  (Read 4946 times)

Chilo

After effects of donating a kidney
« on: December 14, 2011, 04:34:20 PM »
I dontated a kidney to my youngest brother in 2005.  Following surgery I had an imediate rise in blood pressure which averages at 140/85.  I also developed an iregular heartbeat which makes acurate blood pressure monotoring difficult. I am loathed to go on medication as I am a fitness fanatic and not keen on taking medication.  I understand high blood pressure following kidney dontation is not uncommon. I was not made aware of this outcome at my pr-surgery consoltations and would just like to warn over people considering donating to bear this in mind. 

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: After effects of donating a kidney
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 06:22:48 PM »
      As far as I know so far, statistics indicate that kidney donors may have a higher tendency toward developing high blood pressure than non-donors, but I don't really know how common it is in actuality. (I likewise was not advised of this possibility before surgery 9 years ago). I have not had that problem, and have good blood pressure (age 66) but do a lot of running. Kidney donors should be especially careful to practice good eating and exercise habits, and be watchful for any signs of increasing blood pressure. I hope you'll be able to improve it without medication.
     best wishes,
         Fr. Pat

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: After effects of donating a kidney
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 06:36:03 PM »
I am so sorry that you have had negative effects after donation. It's hard to know how each hospital evaluates its donors. There seems to be such a discrepancy in care. I also donated to my brother and before the surgery I did extensive research on the effects of living with one kidney and went to a nephrologist outside the transplant center so that I could get a non biased medical opinion. In family donation it is very complicated. I think it is almost impossible to meet the criteria for informed consent because when we see our relative sick it is almost impossible not to feel some sense of coercion or push, whether it be out of love, obligation or guilt. It is therefore imperative that the medical community weight each candidate carefully, especially family members who now have a family history of kidney disease. All we hear is how horrible dialysis is, how minimally invasive the surgery is and how "normal" it is to live with one kidney; even stressing how some people are born with one. It is much easier to walk away if you are considering donating to a non family member. The doctors really do need to stress the possible complications like high blood pressure and proteinuria as a result of losing half your nephrons. We also need to make sure we stay in good health to prevent complications.

You say you do not want to go on medication for hypertension. What is behind that reasoning? Sometimes diet and exercise and a low sodium diet can help with high blood pressure. Other times, medication is needed to protect the kidney. It's not a defeat. We are lucky that there are medications out there to help control hypertension. If you are not able to get your blood pressure under control there will be damage to your lone kidney. The filtration process will not work well under pressure. In addition you should see a cardiologist about the arrythmia (irregular heart beat). This too can be treated with medication. I donated at age 44 and am now 48 and anticipate that as I age I will most likely have to take medication to control my blood pressure partly because of the natural aging process and partly because of my lone kidney.

Have you been back to the hospital where you donated? You should make sure they know what your lab values are now, your blood pressure etc so that this can be reported to UNOS. We will never be able to make kidney donation safer if kidney donors are not followed long term. You can also file a grievance with UNOS if you feel that your center did not give you all the information you needed prior to surgery.

Please let us know how you are doing.

Sherri
Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved