| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: 2010 OPTN / SRTR Annual Report  (Read 4957 times)

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
2010 OPTN / SRTR Annual Report
« on: December 22, 2011, 01:05:17 PM »
http://www.srtr.org/annual_reports/2010/

Welcome to the 2010 OPTN / SRTR Annual Report: Transplant Data 2000-2009
The U.S. Organ Procurement and Transplantation Network and the Scientific Registry of Transplant Recipients

The Health Resources and Services Administration's Division of Transplantation administers and oversees two contracts to facilitate the nation's allocation system for organ transplantation. The OPTN, contracted by the United Network for Organ Sharing, is responsible for operating the national network for organ procurement and allocation, and works to promote organ donation. The SRTR, contracted by the Minneapolis Medical Research Foundation and fulfilled by its Chronic Disease Research Group, provides analytical support for the ongoing evaluation of scientific and clinical status of solid organ transplantation.
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Offline Donna Luebke

• Top 25 Poster!
  • Certified Adult Nurse Practitioner/kidney donor
Re: 2010 OPTN / SRTR Annual Report
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2011, 09:32:38 AM »
I recommend going to www.srtr.org website. Then look at the National Transplant Program list by organ by each program.  Look at the number of live donor vs deceased donor surgeries.  Can look at this list by say 'kidney' or 'liver'.   Some of this information was alarming.  I counted at least 25 kidney programs that did not even do one transplant in all of 2010 and some on the list who have had their doors closed for even longer (Akron Summa for example is closed.)  An inflated OPTN membership list?  A few others listed were recently closed (some voluntarily) under the new CMS Rules and Regulations for Transplant Programs. 

What this means for a potential live donor:  be sure to look at this SRTR data.  If a center had done only 1 live donor surgery in an entire year, I would go somewhere else.  Some programs do 3 times more live donor kidney transplants than deceased donor.  Look at the program you are considering and ask them the tough questions about outcomes and surgical expertise. 

I looked at the liver centers--then I looked at those who participated in A2ALL.  U of CO where Ryan Arnold died in 2010 only did 3 live donor liver surgeries that year.  This is a 33% mortality rate.  Some like U of MI only did 1.  Lahey which did the most in 2010 at 19 (also reported one death) is more active in live donor liver transplants than its kidney program.  According to an article by Jim Trotter, MD 12 liver programs are doing 80% of the live donor liver transplants. What happened to all the others? When I was on the Board, we approved at least 62 and and some of the 126 opted out of doing them.    Why now only 12? Bet would be fewer if  NIH/A2ALL was not paying them.   35 of the programs listed on SRTR site did less than 5 live donor liver transplants in 2010.  Hardly expertise.  I want the list separated out by number of laparoscopic surgeries vs. open by organ type (so we see how many kidney and liver donors are undergoing the lap procedure by transplant hospital.)  Donor consent must include the risks unique to the lap procedure such as with pneumoperitoneum or the administration of intraoperative Lasix, Mannitol and/or Heparin. 

The A2ALL centers did 82 live donor liver transplants in 2010--this is less than 1/3 of the total.  The current policy proposals do not even include live liver donors.  They will have to wait even years more to get on the agenda for national polices on consent, evaluation or followup. 
Donna
Kidney donor, 1994    Independent donor advocate
MSN,  Adult Nurse Practitioner
2003-2006:  OPTN/UNOS Board of Directors, Ad Hoc Living Donor Committee, Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organs Committee, OPTN Working Group 2 on Living Donation
2006-2012:  Lifebanc Board of Directors

Subscribe in a reader

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional