| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: I would recommend anyone straddling the fence on live donation to 'just do it.'  (Read 5348 times)

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
http://www.universitytransplantcenter.com/living-donor-stories/orville-bonnie-story

"I would recommend anyone straddling the fence on live donation to 'just do it.'"

Orville Lind, Living Kidney Donor, 2008

Bonnie Lind, Living Donor Kidney Recipient, 2008

"I would like to address pre- and post-donation from five areas: hospital support, medical, psychological, monetary, and family.

But first, let me start with the “Bottom Line”:  I feel that I have greatly increased not only my wife’s quality of life, but mine own as well, for at least the next 20 years.  Without a doubt, I would do it again, and I would recommend anyone straddling the fence on live donation to “just do it.”  You’ll be glad you did.

Now, some background: I am 55 years old, retired from the Air Force and not working in a follow-on job, two kids (one in college and one was still in high school).  I consider myself in fairly good shape, energetic, and active.  My wife (51 years old) had inherited polycystic kidney disease (PKD) from her father.  She was being seen by the nephrology department at Wilford Hall on Lackland AFB.  She was on the verge of having to begin dialysis when the kidney surgery occurred.

Pre-Donation

Hospital Support:  We both were treated tremendously by the hospital staff.  We remarked several times that we felt like we were being treated like the only patients the hospital had.

Medical: The amount of medical testing that I went through before I was cleared for the donation surgery made me feel extremely confident that there would be no ill effects of that surgery on me.  It was very apparent that the hospital would not allow me to donate if there was any chance that I might have some sort of medical problem during or after the surgery.  I believe all those considering donation can rest easy that they must be very healthy and, more importantly, will remain healthy after the surgery.  The hospital is looking after you as closely, if not more, than the person to whom you are donating.

Psychological: This was the easiest part for me.  I was convinced it was the right thing to do.  The hospital staff did not try to convince me to donate and gave me many chances to opt out of the surgery.

Monetary: We had very good insurance that covered all facets of the surgery and care.

Family:  We talked the surgery and the recovery over with our family.  The statistics show that it is normally a very successful surgery, so our children were feeling comfortable with the operations.  Our daughter was still in high school.  Since we were both going to be in the hospital at the same time, we needed a family to take care of our daughter for the several days that we were hospitalized.  After that was worked out,  we could rest assured that our family was taken care .

Post-Donation

Hospital Support: The kidney recipient receives the bulk of the medical attention, understandably.  But the staff and doctors are intensely interested in the donor’s well-being. 

Medical:  I felt very poorly the first two days after the surgery.  I was not really in much pain; rather I felt extremely tired and uncomfortable.  Then, like magic, on about the third day, my appetite came back and I started to feel better—little by little.  I was still tired.  A short walk around the ward with my wife would just about wipe me out physically.

Psychological:  It was very pleasant to feel myself getting better almost on a daily basis.  Every day, I could do a little more that the day before.  My wife improved faster that I did.  But I was back to playing golf and feeling almost 100% at about 8 weeks.

Monetary:  I have not gone back to a paying job since my retirement.  Having said that, I felt I could have gone back to a “desk” job about two and a half to three weeks after the surgery. However I believe that, even with a desk job, I would have been fairly tired at the end of the day.  I could do more physical labor (mowing the lawn, cleaning roof gutters) after about three to four weeks.

Family: Our daughter was able to help immensely after we returned from the hospital. It was a little tough on both my wife and me to get around, so having someone to do the shopping and the chores around the house was very convenient.  Our daughter is very proud of her involvement in our recovery.  My wife is not “tethered” by dialysis requirements and she is feeling the best she has felt in many years.  I feel just as strong now, both mentally and physically, as I did before the surgery.  I feel confident that my wife and I can take full advantage of being retired…the travel, enjoying the spontaneity of simple events such as shopping, dining, or going to a movie---all without the encumbering disadvantages of dialysis."
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
    • Living Donors Online!
Life is good, thanks to my living donor.
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 12:53:20 PM »
http://www.universitytransplantcenter.com/living-donor-stories/sherrie-kimberly-story

"Life is good, thanks to my living donor."

Sherrie Clay, Living Donor Kidney Recipient, 2005 and

Kimberly Wyatt, Living Kidney Donor, 2005

"I would like to say that if it wasn't for living donations many of us would not be here today because the transplant waiting list is so long.

I thank God for my cousin Kimberly Wyatt for having the courage to commit to such an awesome act of kindness and never once hesitate to go forward with it. Kimberly is a true blessings to me because she unselfishly gave me the gift of life.

Kimberly is my angel sent from above to save my life so that I can live a better, healthier, happier life with my family. Kimberly hasn't regretted it not one day and I can't thank her enough in my life time.

I'm no longer on high blood pressure medicine, and my overall health has improved since the transplant.

Life is good, thanks to my living donor, my cousin, Kimberly Wyatt."
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
    • Living Donors Online!
http://www.universitytransplantcenter.com/living-donor-stories/frankie-german-story

"Giving my father a kidney has turned out to be one of the best decisions I've ever made."

Frankie Benavides, Living Kidney Donor, 2005 and

German Benavides, Living Donor Kidney Recipient, 2005

"Giving my father a kidney has turned out to be one of the best decisions I've ever made. Every time he and I have a good conversation, laugh at a joke together, or simply spend time around each other, I'm grateful to the team at University Transplant Center. Thanks to them, my father and I can look forward to many more years of good times and good health."
Proud grandpa!

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
    • Living Donors Online!
I wanted my friend to be healthy again also.
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 12:55:19 PM »
http://www.universitytransplantcenter.com/living-donor-stories/david-harry-story

"I wanted my friend to be healthy again also."

David Nesenholtz, Living Kidney Donor, 2008 and

Harry McAdams, Living Donor Kidney Recipient, 2008

"When my best friend told me that his kidneys were failing, in ten to fifteen seconds (literally) I made the decision and told him that I would be his kidney donor. I made this commitment because of our friendship, not because I had done the research and evaluated the options and come to the conclusion that this would be a reasonable and effective thing to do.  Indeed, only after I had made the commitment to him did I research kidney donation (i.e., what the procedure is, what individual experiences have been, how long recovery takes, and so forth).  As with most people, I was generally familiar with the concept of kidney donation, but I did not know what was involved or have any information about the details.  Because of this subsequent research, I came to the conclusion that what I had committed myself to do (i.e., to be a kidney donor for my friend) stood not to have any particular risks or dislocations, and to be an excellent idea, after all.  I had volunteered to be a kidney donor for my friend because I considered myself to be healthy and strong, and wanted my friend to be healthy again, also.   In the ensuing months of “qualifying” to be a donor (based on the medical standards of the Kidney Donation Program at University Transplant Center) I went through extensive medical tests, during which I discovered a few health issues that needed to be addressed.  These issues were addressed, and the kidney donation was successful on May 29, 2008. I was up and walking within a day, out of the hospital within three days, and back at work within a week.  I never had any negative side effects.  It is now eight months later. I am healthier than before I joined the kidney donor program. And, as for my friend, he is healthier and happier than he’s been in many years!"
Proud grandpa!

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
    • Living Donors Online!
It makes me cry to think of what I would have missed.
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 12:56:47 PM »
http://www.universitytransplantcenter.com/living-donor-stories/teresa-sarah-story

"It makes me cry to think of what I would have missed.”

Teresa Chandler, Living Donor Liver Recipient, 2010

Sarah Chandler,  Living Liver Donor, 2010

Teresa was diagnosed with Wilson’s Disease in 1985. 25 years later, she was a happily married mom of nine children when her liver began to fail. She was transported by ambulance to University Transplant Center on the Saturday before Mother’s Day. “The thought of being in the hospital and not with my children on Mother’s Day was heartbreaking, but Sarah told me if I gave up this one, I would be around for a lot more.” When the option of living donation came up, the family jumped up. Her son, Zach, was the first to ask, but he wasn’t old enough, and her brother wasn’t a match, but her oldest daughter, Sarah, was a perfect match. For Sarah, there was no hesitation. “Not having my mom around was not an option.” Not long after the transplant, Sarah got engaged. Teresa says, “I thank God every day for blessing me with a second chance to enjoy every moment with my children. It makes me cry to think of what I would have missed.”
Proud grandpa!

Offline livingdonor101

• Top 50 poster!
    • Living Donor 101
As if a transplant center would publish anything that wasn't positive?
www.livingdonor101.com - Where Living Donors Matter Most.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved