| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: 1 wk post donation  (Read 7154 times)

ireysc

1 wk post donation
« on: January 26, 2012, 12:50:30 PM »
Hey,

It's me again.  I was on the forum before asking about lap vs. open.  I went with the open surgery and am post-op 1 wk.  I was gonna ask people that have donated how long is recovery.  i got discharged yesterday and still get nauseated, have bad gas pains, and am having trouble eating much.  I am trying to make sure I stay hydrated but how long does the gas pains last?  Anyone have any input.

Offline lawphi

• Top 25 Poster!
Re: 1 wk post donation
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 08:41:35 PM »
My gas pains drastically improved after going to the bathroom. Don't  be afraid to eat prunes and use an enema as directed by your center.  Walking helps.

Bridge Paired Exchange donor on behalf of my husband (re-transplant) at Johns Hopkins.

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 01:02:31 AM »
     Some donors suffer nausea after the surgery due to reaction to the prescription pain medications, and some of those medications can upset the digestion/bowel function as well. If you are still taking prescription pain medication you might find it helpful to see if you can switch to just Tylenol. (But do NOT take Tylenol AND the prescription meds at the same time!)
     Nibbling on small amounts of whatever food strikes your fancy, rather than trying to handle a full meal all at once, might help you keep nourished until your appetite returns.
     Please let us know how things develope.
    Fr. Pat

Offline pilotjjc3

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 10:07:56 PM »
I was one who continued to be nauseated and have stomach pains similar to food poisoning after I went home.  I switched to Tylenol and both symptoms went away within a few days.  Good luck.

ireysc

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 10:20:02 PM »
Thanks for the info from everyone.  I ended up not taking any narcotics at home, my body is just to sensitive to the heavy drugs. The nausea went away.  I think from the crazy narcotics at the hosp it gave me horrible gas pressure in my stomach that still hasn't gone away.  All my friends in the nursing field keep saying that it just takes time.  I'm just looking forward to a day in the near future where the pressure isn't pushing on my right lung anymore. :)

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 12:08:25 AM »
     You may also want to try doing as much gentle bending and stretching exercises as possible, to help get things "back in place". My surgeon told me to start the following exercise the day after open donation surgery:
     Stand and raise the arm that is opposite the surgery incision above the head. Slowly bend away from the surgery side until pressure/pain becomes uncomfortable. Hold that position for a couple of seconds, then straighted up again gently. Repeat a few times, then do the same on the other side. As days pass the ability to stretch further without pain will gradually increase.
      Another exercise that I found to be a great help: stretch out flat on your back on the floor, arms and legs extended to form an "X" if possible. Just stretch and then relax. Then try lieing on one side and raising the top leg. Repreat, if possible, on the other side. I know that a couple of other donors have shared my own experience of all sorts of gurgling and shifting going on inside. Seemed to help.
     Some donors have sought the help of a licensed massage therapist with experience in post-op massage.
                 Fr. Pat

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, 07:27:41 AM »
What you may also be feeling is the swelling and inflammation that is a natural response of your body from all the "messing around" they did in there. I felt swollen for quite some time - I likened it to carrying a football in front of me. The walking helps, as does Fr. Pat's suggestion of gentle movement.  Hope you feel better soon!
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Offline Donna Luebke

• Top 25 Poster!
  • Certified Adult Nurse Practitioner/kidney donor
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 02:21:29 PM »
Be sure to follow your postop instructions carefully so you do not overdue.  Healing takes longer with the open procedure.  Walking is good.  Careful with any exercise or lifting.  I took 10 weeks off work since was an ICU nurse at the time. 
Donna
Kidney donor, 1994    Independent donor advocate
MSN,  Adult Nurse Practitioner
2003-2006:  OPTN/UNOS Board of Directors, Ad Hoc Living Donor Committee, Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organs Committee, OPTN Working Group 2 on Living Donation
2006-2012:  Lifebanc Board of Directors

ireysc

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 11:36:40 AM »
Thanks again for the suggestions.  I wasn't sure if the pressure in my tummy was gas pressure or what?  After hearing the advice I'm sure that it must be the swelling that needs to go down.  I will try the stretches and hopefully it'll help to keep the pressure down.  As far as taking it easy, I am trying.  I'm a type A that works full-time, single mom, and my son with the kidney issues's caregiver so sometimes it's hard for me to sit down and take it easy.  I am trying to do so to give my body the time it needs to heal so I can get back to my normal soon.  Again thanks for the advice.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional