| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Two weeks post-surgery  (Read 4054 times)

Offline CK

• Top 10 Poster!
Two weeks post-surgery
« on: February 16, 2012, 06:41:58 AM »
Hi to everyone...I joined to be able to talk to other people who've gone through the donation process and maybe support people who are considering it.

I donated on January 31 to my significant other. Both of us are doing great! I was out of the hospital the next day and feel pretty much back to normal now (except for the incision and a bit of numbness in my leg) 16 days after the surgery. I am taking the rest of the week off from work just because I planned to and I can :), but I felt able to go back at least part-time after about 10 days.

My recipient is doing fantastic too. He has been bumped down to only one clinic visit a week after the first week because his numbers are so good. We did an ABO incompatible donation (well sort of, it was A2 to O, which is almost the same as O to O) and the hospital (University of Rochester Medical Center in Rochester NY) said this was cutting edge for them, so they are very pleased that it's gone so well.

I put a lot of thought and research into this donation and I feel confident that I can lead a normal life with one kidney. Even after only 2 weeks, I can see what a positive impact this has had on the recipient. He wasn't on dialysis yet, but had such low kidney function that he was uncomfortable and tired all the time. Plus, he has Polycystic Kidney Disease, and they took two 12 lb kidneys out of him.  The kidneys had gotten so huge and uncomfortable.

My tiny little girl-kidney  :D has picked up the slack and started clearing out all of the toxins. His creatinine is almost in normal range already. It's been very gratifying to see how helpful this has been to him and how relatively easy it was for me.

Offline MissFrizz

• Top 25 Poster!
Re: Two weeks post-surgery
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 08:32:50 AM »
Congratulations on such a success!  Thank you for the update.  It definitely helps those of us who are considering donating.
Stephanie

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." - John Wayne

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional