| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Transplant center(s) with donor age limits 55+ ???  (Read 5124 times)

bluzdoctor

Transplant center(s) with donor age limits 55+ ???
« on: March 27, 2012, 02:05:02 AM »
Hello:

I am a recipient; my brother, who is a world-class triathlete is 59 years old, same type O blood and is willing to be a living donor. However, my current transplant center lowered their age limit to 55 and turned down our appeal. Does anyone know of a top transplant program that has a limit greater than 55? Please help with suggestions, information or wisdom.

Regards,

Bluzdoctor

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Transplant center(s) with donor age limits 55+ ???
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 07:25:07 AM »
       Age limits vary a lot from hospital to hospital. I donated at age 56 (10 years ago), and there have been donors in their 70's (usually spouse-to-spouse). One place to locate all the transplant hospitals in your area is www.ustransplant.org . Then call or e-mail the "transplant Coordinator" at each place to ask about age restrictions. It also might be wise for your brother to make another appeal to your same hospital, providing some date about his health. To make sure that potential donors REALLY want to donate and are not just being pressured some hospitals may place an obstacle in the path, to give the potential donor a chance to gracefully back down. So a second firm request might convince them to take another look.
    best wishes,
       Fr. Pat

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 07:25:44 AM »
Quite restrictive! You should begin making calls or checking center websites on the internet. There are indeed people out there 60 and over (some on this site) who have donated. We know a father who at 62 donated to his son.   The restriction and consideration has been health rather than age.
Good luck to you both!
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 11:39:16 AM »
article in today's NY Times Science section. Older Kidneys Work Just As Well

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/27/health/research/older-kidneys-work-just-as-well-for-most-transplant-patients.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=older%20transplanted%20kidneys&st=cse

It just may be the transplant center you contacted does not have the experience. you may want to explore more experienced centers in your area.

Sherri

Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Offline dodger

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 08:53:36 PM »
I was 59 1/2 with a BMI of 25, which was at the cut off BMI, when I donated to my niece who was 37 at the time.  This was last year on March 10th.  Of course a younger donor is better as they would have a higher GFR. Which is best for both, giving both a better life after surgery with only one kidney. 

My niece has IgA neuropathy, this was her 2nd transplant.  The first lasted her 9 years.  Hopefully this one will last her at least that long.  I'm no world class athelete, but have always been health concious for the most part. Guess that is why I was able to donate at my age. Now since donation it has become an every day part of my life.  A very important part of my life.

Your center my just be looking out for the both of you as far as long term out comes.  Actually, I find this very responsible on their part.  You can seek out other donation centers of course.  Does your brother plan to continue competing after donation? If he is unable to perform as previously will he be able to take that disappointment.  Most donors can continue with life as previous, but a few do have some changes that prevents them from some previous activities and life styles.
Donated 3/10/11 to my niece at UW Madison, Wi

Offline jatopa

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 09:04:00 PM »
Hi Bluz...
UCLA has a recommended age cut off of 65 for donors.
I donated at age 61 to my older brother.  We had no problems.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved